« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Richard Petty to Danica:

I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE

... Let's Race!

2/21/2014 11:16 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0221-danica-richard-getty-01Gentlemen ... and ladies ... start your engines -- 'cause Richard Petty says he's ABSOLUTELY DOWN to race Danica Patrick in a 1-on-1 grudge match after trading shots in the media.

Of course, this whole thing started when Petty criticized Danica's crappy record -- and D.P.'s friend/team owner Tony Stewart said Petty and Patrick should settle their beef on the track.

Well, today ... Petty went on "Fox and Friends" and said HE ACCEPTS.

”Yeah you know, I’m 76 years old ... and it’s been 25 years since I’ve been in a racecar, but I’ll take that challenge.”

He then asked, "When's this gonna happen?"

Good question -- ball seems to be in Danica's court now.

022114_richard_petty_launch

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Mike

Racing a 76 year old man who hasn't been in a race car for 25 years would be embarrassing enough, and stupid for Patrick---let alone if she loses.

The Zombie

Petty's over the hill and Danica has something to prove. As much as it pains me to say it, she could win.

bostonmike

All she does is crash, and break down.

GapPop

I hope this actually happens. I hate NASCAR but would totally watch this. I hope Danica wins.

Kelley

Danica could consider racing Kyle Petty instead of Richard (or both), and deal with them both in one sweep. Get Richard to agree that if she beats Kyle, she would have beaten Richard. This eliminates the age and recent experience excuse.

letsbefair

The comment that Richard made sure don't sound like a comment made by a "king"! If the race happens he will probably die of a heart attack.

KENNETH GILLMAN

Richard Petty is just an old man with his glory days in a bag and he's holding it over his shoulder. I'd love to see Damica run him down big time. No one to get hurt but beat the pants off of him.

Kyle

Check out my ride with Danica where I got to pitch my small business to her from the passenger seat of her car here: www.GoDaddy.com/Kyle

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3