Harold Ramis

DEAD at 69

2/24/2014 9:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0224-harold-ramis-01
Hollywood legend Harold Ramis -- famous for his films "Caddyshack," "Ghostbusters," "Groundhog Day," and "Animal House" -- has died.

According to his family, the writer-director passed away early this morning at his Chicago home from complications stemming from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a rare disease involving the swelling of blood vessels. He was surrounded by his family.

Ramis was 69. He is survived by his wife Erica, his sons Julian and Daniel, his daughter Violet, and two grandchildren.

Ramis began suffering from health issues related to his autoimmune disease in 2010.

In addition to "Caddyshack" and others, the comedy legend directed "National Lampoon's Vacation," "Analyze This" and several other films. He also wrote sequels to his films, like "Ghostbusters 2" and "Caddyshack 2."

0224_remembering_Harold_Ramis_footer_v3

Norba

He's the last guy you'd expect would get slimed.

all about the money

A great comedian and writer! He will be missed. Condolences to all his family and friends.

Jackie

And Bierber is still alive?...this sucks

SweetMama

He was a very talented, brilliant man. He brightened so many people's days by giving them a laugh through his movies. I'm an 80's child, so Ghostbusters will always be a favorite of mine. Mr. Ramis, you will be missed. RIP.

some guy

RIP. I have my fingers crossed for Harold to come back as a ghost.

Cirrus Unicus

Well colour my day ruined. RIP Egon.

Pay Attention

pretty ****in funny you slipped this in the timeline. when you were late to the table! trying to make it look like you were on top of things. better luck next time. sucka's

Unbroken Chain

Now this is a big sad loss. This guy had a huge influence on my generation. Sigh.... Getting old. Teu don't make them like him anymore. Nothing is original. As a matter of fact people still try to copy his work

Maddog

He was my hero growing up, ghostbusters was the only movie I sat in the theatre to watch it again after the first time. My humour is based off his genius. He will be missed. My thoughts to his family.

Teresa andrews

Truly one of the funniest guys ever. R.I.P.

Carl Fredricksen

R.I.P. - a TRUE talent, one of the few creative geniuses. A great loss to hollywood and audiences...

BellaJ

He had so much talent. My condolences to his family ❤️

fifithepoodle

My condolences.

Cheryl

Wonderful actor! May he rest in peace.

Santasunsetwoodica

"I met her on a monday and my heart stood still da doo ron ron da doo ron ron! Somebody told me that her name was jill da doo ron ron ron da do ron ron! Lol classic! rip brother!