« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

PGA Golfer Steve Elkington

Under Fire

For Homophobic Michael Sam Joke

2/25/2014 9:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0225_steve_elkington_michael_sam_getty
PGA golfer Steve Elkington is getting hammered on Twitter right now ... after making a joke about Michael Sam throwing a purse at the NFL combine.

The 51-year-old Australian -- who won the PGA championship in '95 -- wrote, "ESPN reporting Michael Sam is leading the handbag throw at NFL combine ... No one else expected to throw today."

Moments after the tweet, the backlash began ... with Steve's followers going off on the golfer. Here's a sample:

-- "You are TRYING TO MAKE SURE YOUR PUBLICIST keeps his job aren't you?? Good luck motherf*ker. See your apology at 11 on ESPN."

-- "BREAKING: Irrelevant golfer makes awful joke"

-- "Homophobia is hilarious (to a sh*tty old white dude)."

-- "let me get this straight - a golfer is making jokes about a football player's manliness?"

There's more ... but you get the point.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Saltine Crackas

Gay people should stay away from football they already own the entire Winter Olympics and WNBA we don't even watch that bull****

TeeDee

I'm really starting to get really annoyed with these gays. Seriously, get over it!! You can't even say the word gay without you being homophobic. I wish they would all just goooo away!

Todd

The truth is, all the laws, TV shows, movies, and protests in the world won't change the FACT that the 97% of Earth's population who are heterosexual have a natural, instinctive, and visceral repulsion/revulsion to the sight of homosexuals engaging in amorous behavior (and always will)......

Astrogenotype

I use to be gay for a couple of years until I realized straight guys are cuter than gay ones. Now I am hetero and content. It feels so natural to be with a woman and I dont have to waste money on KY jelly. Now I cant stand gays. They ate so nasty!

Saltine Crackas

Choke something tells me you are not named after Peyton's SB performance, is your last name Ondick?

choke

I can tell where I can find all the inbred trailer trash! It has to be really horrible waking up each morning realizing how pathetic you bigots really are!

Jack Ass

"Sigh" White guy makes derogatory remark about non-white person (usually black or gay). All the Nigroids and ***s bitch and whine about it. No harm to white guy's career. . . white guy gives phony, forced apology and before long, everyone forgets about it... ... then the whiney complaints "if he was black yadda yadda........ Get over it.

Ya Mon