« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jaguars Star Marcedes Lewis

AGAINST NFL N-WORD BAN

'Sometimes Things Come Out'

2/28/2014 12:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0227_marcedes-lewis_gettyJacksonville Jaguars star Marcedes Lewis says the NFL's proposed n-word ban is a BAD IDEA ... telling TMZ Sports, "These games are intense, sometimes things come out."

The league acknowledges that it's discussed enacting a rule that would penalize any player caught using the word on the field ... and Lewis says at first, he was into the idea.

"Initially, I thought [the rule] was the right thing to do -- but I've changed my mind.  These games are intense ... sometimes things come out."

Lewis says, "I don't use the word. There won't have to be much of an adjustment for me ... but the referees are really gonna have to listen hard."

"You're telling me during a game the refs have to zero in on what someone says with a mouthpiece in? Their jobs are hard enough.  They already catch enough grief for making bad calls."

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper -- the white guy who had his own n-word controversy -- has spoken out in favor of the rule ... because ... well ... duh. For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

NOT ELMO

I HEAR MARCEDES LEWIS IS BISEXUAL, GOOD FOR HIM....

idiots_abound

There is no workplace in America that blurting out the n-word is acceptable. Grow the **** up. Treat the game with respect. Treat your fellow players with respect. If you're to immature to curb your tongue, find another line of work.

Dramacydal

As weird as this may sound at first I think it's unfair to the black players to enforce this rule. Pretty sure 100% of the time it's used within a game it's used by blacks who like it or not grew up speaking with the N word being heavily used towards friend or enemy. If they are to ban the word they might as well ban all curse words. Makes no sense to target one word that's only being used by the ones they are trying to protect. Also why even ban it I don't think it is affecting kids that are watching it as most the time you can't hear what's being said majority of time.

Champagne Jayne

C'mon, it's the NFL. Those guys cuss and blurt out stupid s h I t during an intense moment in the game. It refs have to start babysitting the players for this stuff, it would be pathetic.

BLUE UGLY 💩

I thought NBA was for basketball

think101

Remember when you was growing up and started using curse words with your friends but had to remember not to say them at home? Same thing, just do it again and quit saying you can't. Its hard but you can do it. : )

Nay

Hey TMZ no ones a "star" on the jaguars lol.

sr

The n word is part of a certain culture. If u are not from that culture u will never be able to understand. That's why not everyone can say that word. Its stupid of them to penalize someone who has used that word thier entire life. People who are not from that culture should not be using that word. That's why there banning it cuz of people who are not from that culture misuse the word.

joelzwilliams

That's no excuse. I bet he doesn't let a cuss word "slip out" his mouth around his Mama!

Ohiolady

This is just a racial debate waiting to happen. I think if a white person was calling a black person the "n" word , the entire NAACP would want the word banned and consequences to occur. So it should be banned because the word has a negative undertone regardless of who uses it. (And I am a BLACK woman with this opinion )

amerksfan

There has to be a total removal of that word from all forms of media
Just like the old days when tipper gore got the pmrc going because of words in songs
There has to be a you wont be able to record that word and sell it on any form of media
Eminem can sing a song with that word
He can sell millions and millions of copies
But untill there is no everyday usages of this word no one can actually complain
If George Carlin were still alive he could add it to the words you cant say on tv
It refers to a time when all dark skinned people heck even whites remember st patrick was a slave before he became the bishop of ireland and we had a holiday for him
But that one word made the person being called it valued worse that pond s***
But untill celebrities are forced to stop using that one word talk to the hand

News Flash

Typical

negreat

So it is alright for the him to,use it and if another race uses this word it is racial discrimination. No one should every say this word.

Joao

MLK Jr. is rolling in his grave that there are black folks defending using a racial pejorative-
--what the hell is wrong with that race?

Socalpimp

Im sure the ban will apply only to the few remaining white players

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments