Fantasia & Brandy

Ex-Publicist Claims Sony Fired Me 'Cause I'm Black

3/16/2014 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0314-fantasia-brandy-01
Fantasia and Brandy have been caught in the middle of a racial war ... ignited by their former publicist who claims their music studio hates black people and that's why he lost his job.

Courtney Barnes -- a well-known publicist -- was hired by Fantasia a year ago, but fired days later.  Barnes claims in his lawsuit her manager told him a V.P. at Sony hated him and wanted him gone.

Barnes claims he was told the V.P. came on so strong ... he threatened to screw Fantasia over if she didn't drop Barnes.

Now here's what Barnes says is the smoking gun.  He claims in the lawsuit the Sony V.P. -- Sarah Dennison -- formed her opinion about Barnes based on hearsay that he had a reputation for "shady business practices."

Barnes insists in his lawsuit ... "shady business practices" is code for racism.  He also claims the only interaction he ever had with her was a handshake on one occasion.  So he says if she didn't know him, how could she form her opinion?

Barnes says the firing ruined his career, claiming it impacted Brandy's decision not to work with him ... based on Dennison trashing him to the singer.

Barnes is now suing Dennison and Sony Music for ruining his reputation and stressing him out.  He claims he would have made $250K  had he not been fired.

Sony says the whole thing is baseless.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

BLUE UGLY 💩

Fantasia is a home wrecker

CJ

Put that one back in the deck you lazy F*CK! So sick of this **** can't take responsibility for your actions!!!

MISFIT

Is Fantasia the one that has a mouth like Bubba from Forest Gump, or is she the one that looks like a burn victim?

Googie

Using the old "they fired because I'm...." That's so overused.

christy

Lets call it like it is…LACK OF TALENT!! So sick of lazy people pulling the race card. Not very cute either.

Rigby

Brandy is a murderer.

traitorwithinme

So tired of people pulling the race card to cover up their failures...

MILK

not sure what is the problem

Yellowbird

He's fired because he clearly hasn't been doing anything for these clients careers. Haven't seen any positive publicity about them in ages.

christy

Are their faces photoshopped??? WTF Happened?

notalawyer

Which one is Courtney Barnes? They look like 2 ugly hood rats.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

He doesn't know her either, so how does he now how she formed her opinion?

w

Race card! Wish I was black and can use the race card when ever I want :(

Joe

STFU with the race card crap. Anyone who pulls the race card in Hollywood should get blacklisted. And anyone who pulls the race card not in Hollywood should go to jail. It is old and annoying now. I get pulled over all the time and the cop (sometimes black) tells me I was driving on the yellow line. It is bs but I know he is just seeing if I am drunk because it is like 2 in the morning. I don't say I got pulled over because I am white. I got laid off a few months back. I didn't say it was because I am white. I got laid off because i got laid off. Oh please with this race card crap. Sometimes I wish I was black so I could always have a free pass. So annoying !

Ice baby