Josh Elliott

I Wanted Out of "GMA" So Bad

I Took a Pay Cut!

4/1/2014 6:54 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Josh Elliott Leaving GMA

Josh Elliott was so disgusted with ABC ... he took a pay cut of more than a million dollars ... multiple sources connected with both ABC and NBC tell TMZ.

Our sources say ABC offered Josh between $4 and $5 million to stay, but he chose NBC despite the fact that they offered him just over $3 million.

We're told Josh was at the point of no return when Robin Roberts signed a $14 million a year contract to anchor GMA.  He felt slighted by the ABC offer and just wanted out.

Sources say the feeling is mutual.  As one source put it, "He's definitely an abrasive guy."  Another source says, "People hated him.  He was always just rude."

And get this ... we're told just weeks ago Sr. VP of ABC News James Goldston confronted Amy Robach -- Josh's replacement on GMA -- and called her "toxic" because she created tension on the set.  Indeed, we're told Amy and Lara Spencer "hate" each other and can't hide their contempt.

Another source says Robin Roberts hasn't helped matters -- one person saying she acts like a "diva" on the set.

As for Josh's future ... our network sources say NBC did NOT promise Josh any role on "Today," but we're told there's no doubt he's got to the top of the heap as the likely successor to Matt Lauer.

Morning TV ... it's just like grade school, only all the students are really rich.

Johnbrnc

Try Morning Joe… Joe's a douche bag, but the rest are awesome

derek sanderson

Josh, your real niche is sports. That is the field that you belong.

Jan Rogers

No one is worth $14M....let alone not on the set half the time. One thing I have noticed with the show is that there is too much joking around and cutting up. I would like to see it go back to how it was when Josh Elliott just joined the group. Good Morning America is much better than the other affiliate morning show......but more effort should be directed to a professional, dignified show. I am sorry that so many of the cast are feeling left out! But really is M$$$ the answer and let's face it enough about the cancer scare...there are so many people who have cancer and are not able to be blessed with the opportunity that Robin had for her care. I wish her well as all of us do, but let's move on.
Best to Josh!! I will be watching. Thank you

irene

come on you believe this crap ...no way

J Beck

With josh gone, there's no reason to turn on ABC in the morning. The only place George was really good was on the Sunday political show. As for Robin, the bubble is about to burst and she should take Lara (the wanna be something) with her
I'm ready for NBC in the mornings.

Judith Warren

thats ok Josh well follow you what ever channel your on

Jeanine

Wish they'd get rid of the rest of the people on the show. Sick of them.

Sole

I switched from Today 2 GMA cuz of hostility. Now Josh & Robin involved in all this negativity.

laurie

I THINK josh would b e much better than Matt Lauer.
Matt is too full of him self....

Fortuna88

He sounds like a dick. His ego has convinced him he's a prime time player due the same pay as a seasoned professional whose work is respected and personal battle with cancer os heroic. I had to do a double-take to try to place the name & bloated face within my memory. I watch the show & didn't even notice he was gone. Sore. Loser.

beachgal

NBC proving their incompetence once again, hiring the arrogant Pillsbury dough boy. Blech.

An American

I don't blame Josh for wanting out. He is a breath of fresh air and a real journalist. As for Robin Roberts...she's an arrogant ass . And used her cancer to gain sympathy. I am sick of her. I switch the channel when she comes on!

Jean Holtz

I LOVED Josh Elliott. He was sincere & funny. I NEVER found him rude. I think ABC dropped the ball. Josh is worth much more than $4million!!!!!! IF he goes to NBC, I will be watching NBC NOT ABC in the morning. I do like Robin & George. Lara is ok as is Amy. I miss Sam, loved him. Ginger is good.

Fortuna88

And those people complaining that other people have cancer and don't get paid like Robin, get real. She's not paid more because she has cancer - she's paid more because longevity, talent and name-recognition are valuable in her profession. Josh isn't remotely there. And believe it or not, people appreciate that a public figure would be so open about a health struggle, and her comeback shows determination and strength that provides inspiration. She's not playing up her cancer - it's because it is such a common but privately terrifying disease that people appreciate her opening her life up to the world for the remote possibility others can find hope or comfort from her triumph. She's being paid to do her job - who she is (as a woman, professional, survivor) is why she's the one who has the lead anchor job. Cancer isn't the issue here.

Lori

I've often felt like the GMA chemistry is fake.