Josh Elliott

I Wanted Out of "GMA" So Bad

I Took a Pay Cut!

4/1/2014 6:54 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Josh Elliott Leaving GMA

Josh Elliott was so disgusted with ABC ... he took a pay cut of more than a million dollars ... multiple sources connected with both ABC and NBC tell TMZ.

Our sources say ABC offered Josh between $4 and $5 million to stay, but he chose NBC despite the fact that they offered him just over $3 million.

We're told Josh was at the point of no return when Robin Roberts signed a $14 million a year contract to anchor GMA.  He felt slighted by the ABC offer and just wanted out.

Sources say the feeling is mutual.  As one source put it, "He's definitely an abrasive guy."  Another source says, "People hated him.  He was always just rude."

And get this ... we're told just weeks ago Sr. VP of ABC News James Goldston confronted Amy Robach -- Josh's replacement on GMA -- and called her "toxic" because she created tension on the set.  Indeed, we're told Amy and Lara Spencer "hate" each other and can't hide their contempt.

Another source says Robin Roberts hasn't helped matters -- one person saying she acts like a "diva" on the set.

As for Josh's future ... our network sources say NBC did NOT promise Josh any role on "Today," but we're told there's no doubt he's got to the top of the heap as the likely successor to Matt Lauer.

Morning TV ... it's just like grade school, only all the students are really rich.

Patrish

Good riddance.. He was so annoying and so full of himself...and I hated the way he always "grabbed" at the free stuff for his daughter, like he couldn't afford to buy those things for her. He is one of the reasons we stopped watching GMA, the second reason is Lara, can't stand her either. Maybe when they are both gone we will start watching GMA every morning again...and they also need to stop "promoting" every show ABC has on their schedule and the LOUD music....Love Robin, she is an angel.

MJK

Interesting.

bob

Overpaid

madkono

the only time i watch these socialist channels, is sunday morning, other wise, i want all of the news!!!

bjp

I always liked Josh, I though he was funny and right to the point. Now I don't have to watch Good Morning America anymore. If he moves I will too.

bjp

lynne quast

Can we get some grown ups on morning TV. I watch CBS for just this reason. They do morning NEWS. The other networks seem to have gone mostly entertainment news which doesn't start the day very well. I am a mature person, retired and like to know what is going on things important - not who is sleeping with who, getting arrested and such.

Mr Barcliff

JOSH WOULD BE HAPPIER AT ESPN BUT, MAKING MORE MONEY DOING DAY TIME SHOWS IS WERE THE MONEY APPARENTLY IS. I FEEL BAD WE HAVE TO KNOW THIS STUFF BEHIND THE SCENES BUT, GOOD THAT THE AVERAGE JOE SEES WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS, EVEN PEOPLE WHO SHOULD BE HAPPY FIND A WAY TO BE MISERABLE. I MEAN, ROBIN ROBERTS HAS BEEN AT ABC FOR 'YEARS' JOSH IS STILL SORTA NEW COMPARED TO ROBIN!!!! WERES THE HUMILITY? YOU HAVE PEOPLE WHO CANT FIND JOBS REGARDLESS OF RACE AND HE TOOK A OFFER OF MAYBE $4-$5 MILLION AS A INSULT? HAHAHHAHAA! MAN, ITS LIKE I TELL PEOPLE WHO DONT HAVE MONEY. WHEN YOU MAKE $1 MILLION, YOU'LL SAY,"IF THIS WAS JUST $2 MILLION, ID BE HAPPY" AND THEN WHEN YOU MAKE $3 MILLION YOU'LL SAY,"IF ONLY THIS $3 MILLION WERE $4 MILLION, ID BE HAPPY" HUMANS WERE SO MISERABLE, EVEN WHEN WE SHOULD BE HAPPY WE FIND A WAY TO DO IT. HEY, WE EVEN FOUND WAYS TO BE MEAN AND RUDE TO PEOPLE WE DONT KNOW ON THE INTERNET, I GUESS THAT SAYIG ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO SPOILED HUMANS!!!! LGNM

mona

i stop watching ABC GMA cause i really do not care for robin roberts all she wants is attention

my 2 cents

If the teleprompters go down, they would all be screwed. Kathie Lee and Hoda have the right idea - boozing at 10 am !

tony

Josh i'm with you all the way . face it, robin is ok, but black, lesbo and femal,. dude you think you can top that. i don't watch 7 anymore, (it's too noisy in the morning) 5 is the channel

HMan570

Good for Josh!! He will not have to wait to long before he reaches his goals. Just to much back stabing on GMA these days. Seems that everyone is bailing for some reason or another, .

mona

robin roberts not a real type of person .laura , ginger, amy seem to be a real person that do not want the attention like robin roberts so i do not watch because i do not care for robin roberts just like dancing with the stars i did not watch last night all the focus was on robin roberts what a joke

JP

I'm sure that Carson Daly and Willie Geist are just tickled that Josh could zoom to the top of the "Lauer List" of successors for Sit Matt

Danah_dane

I am really disappointed to hear this, i am a BIG GMA fan; I love Robin Roberts, and I think she is worth every penny. I thought Josh was a nice guy. i will not follow him to the Today show. I am not a fan.