« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Boomer Esiason

Athletes SHOULDN'T Take Paternity Leave

'I'd Get a C-Section Before the Season'

4/3/2014 6:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Boomer Esiason Paternity Leave
Boomer Esiason doesn't believe pro athletes should take paternity leave -- suggesting they should do whatever it takes to PLAY because that's in the best interest of the kid.

The former NFL quarterback was on the "Boomer and Carton" radio show when the topic turned to Mets 2nd baseman Daniel Murphy, who missed 2 games this week to be with his wife after his son was born.

Boomer acknowledged that Murphy has a legal right to miss work -- but says, "Bottom line, that's not me. I wouldn't do that."

"Quite frankly I woulda said C-section before the season starts, I need to be at Opening Day. I'm sorry."

Boomer continued, "This is what makes our money, this is how we're gonna live our life. This is gonna give my child every opportunity to be a success in life. I'll be able to afford any college I wanna send my kid to because I'm a baseball player." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Vote2012

This guy has never been know to be the sharpest crayon in the box....in other words he is a big dummy.

Reed Richards

These two meat heads are idiots. Period.

jheryn

Boomer is an ass.

K South West

Boomer you should lead by example and have that C Section before opening day...male insensitivity... go on Woman have that C section

Joe

There are 162 games in a season. Lets say the average player plays about 8 seasons. That is about 1300 games. If a player misses 2 or 3 games to be with his family, I'm sure that is ok. Plus sometimes it is not easy to get pregnant. If you miss that 2 day opportunity a month, then you have to hope to get pregnant next month... Or month after that... etc. Which can push your delivery date to when baseball season starts. Good for Boomer to feel so strong about sports, but in my opinion family should come first.

7contiens

What a heartless human being. That is one of the worst things ive ever heard come out a professionals mouth. This guy should be fired! What an idiot. I hope he is ripped apart for the rest of his career for that comment. He's a s*** bag!

Phoenicks

Boomer and Carton don't represent NY Sports Talk Radio - our Sports Pope, the Holy Mike Francesa does.
With that said, I'm pretty sure no Jets fans would have had a problem with Boomer taking time off for Gunnar , so pot needs to realize he's as black as the kettle.

Ferndog68

Family first always

zombie

Hmmmm, they are paid to play. That is why these athletes are paid the giant wads of cash. Sacrifice has to be part of the equation somewhere.

PG

Meh. Anything for attention.

Shaquille O'Neal

Boomer sounds like a fool. What a dumb statement by him. No wonder why he never won a Super Bowl.

Gypsybling

Funny cuz after a csection you can't even pick up a faux pound baby for almost six weeks

goober

Get your priorities straight. I enjoy sports, but your family always comes before a silly game you are playing that you are grossly overpaid for doing because our society places so much emphasis on it. You don't have another chance to be with your newborn child ever again.

Sandra

Ignorant ass.

Lookyhere

Boomer would have aborted his son Gunnar if he had known the baby had cystic fibrosis before he was born. Boomer couldn't fully concentrate on being a QB in the NFL b/c he was so tired from taking care of cystic fibrosis son. Boomer knows if he had never had his son Gunnar he would have lead his teams to at least 3 superbowls.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments