David Letterman

I'm Retiring

4/3/2014 1:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

040314_david_letterman_retirement_launch
David Letterman, the longest-serving late-night talk show host in TV history, has just announced his retirement.

Letterman made the announcement during the taping of his show Thursday in New York, telling the audience his last show will take place in 2015.

He told the audience ... he's turning 67 and wants to spend more time with his family.  Dave went on to say he'd be retiring in the next year or 2.  The audience thought he was joking because he said, "Finally Paul and I can get married."

040314_david_letterman_california_launch

Johnny Depp then came on and told Dave people backstage were weeping.  It appears Dave's staff knew of the announcement and many were backstage.

During his announcement, Dave said he started in the business when he was 34 so he's been doing it for half his life, and now it was time to be with his son.

040314_david_letterman_10th_anniversary_launch_v3

Letterman began his Hollywood career as a stand-up comedian in the late 1970s, appearing several times on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson." He got his morning show in 1980 and began his late night career in 1982 on NBC with "Late Night with David Letterman."

040314_david_letterman_taco_bell_launch

11 years later in 1993, Letterman moved to CBS to host "The Late Show with David Letterman," after Jay Leno was tapped to replace Johnny Carson on NBC.

Letterman's CBS contract is scheduled to expire next year and Letterman won't be re-upping.

0403_david_letterman_footer

Jimbo

Finally.....

ToddonCapeCod

Thank God!!
S***. Can't leave quick enough!

manbearpig

i have been around numerous sites that discuss dave's soon to be retirement.
it's good to know the vast majority of people feel he was either never funny or likeable or if he was funny, he hasn't been in decades.
i hope one of dave's guests beats the living crap out of him on his show before he fades away!

barryaclarke

I might wager that Jimmy Fallon who is not hosting "The Tonight Show" put a deep dent into David Letterman ratings................

backfire

He should step off tonight -- Its enough already….why do they wait till they look like they're studio is in a rest home? Barbara are you listening?

Granny8934

I'll miss him. Took me a while to "get" him, but once I did I have enjoyed him since. , so I will definitely miss him.

Laughing at celebrities is fun.

See ya liberal jacka/s/s. I know it's redundant but it fits so well.

Pat Shaw

I do hope Craig Ferguson gets the Late Show slot. He is truly an original; terribly funny; interacts with the audience; tries to not be "just another talk show" and he succeeds. He's extremely intelligent; does great interviews; and with only a nuts and bolts set (finally upgraded) and no orchestra, he manages to hold you with his originality and creativity. I have watched since he took over from the prior Craig, and he really endears himself to his viewers. He would give the 'other' show a run for its money. As a CBS shareholder, I feel my investment will be much more valuable with Craig in the prime slot!!!

Thanks...

mjstf

I LOVE him! Real Talent. Human like us all...he gave much to the world in entertainment and made a lot of people a lot of money. Bless him for having his priorities straight. :)

Shaquille O'Neal

Letterman is a moron who was NEVER funny!!!! He should have retired a LONG time ago!!! Go away Dave!!! Nobody watches your lame show with terrible jokes!!! Silly goose!!

Truth

Pompous arrogant creep. His retirement can't come quick enough. Good riddance.

Truth

Letterman is THE GREATEST (except for Johnny Carson). All you silly Obama queers can watch Jimmy Fallon. That's about your speed.

CremeBrulee

When it all comes down to it, Johnny Carson was the greatest. No one can ever fill his shoes. When I think about all the late nite hosts in the last 40 years, the only intro music I can conjure up in my mind is Johnnys. The rainbow curtain. The golf swing. The rest of them are just so much fluff.

beachgal

Bummer, Dave you'll be missed. Depp interview tonight was hilarious /classic

user name

Haha all u people are brutal! I never gave Letterman a chance...I'm all about the tonight show! Leno now Fallon!!!