David Letterman

I'm Retiring

4/3/2014 1:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

040314_david_letterman_retirement_launch
David Letterman, the longest-serving late-night talk show host in TV history, has just announced his retirement.

Letterman made the announcement during the taping of his show Thursday in New York, telling the audience his last show will take place in 2015.

He told the audience ... he's turning 67 and wants to spend more time with his family.  Dave went on to say he'd be retiring in the next year or 2.  The audience thought he was joking because he said, "Finally Paul and I can get married."

040314_david_letterman_california_launch

Johnny Depp then came on and told Dave people backstage were weeping.  It appears Dave's staff knew of the announcement and many were backstage.

During his announcement, Dave said he started in the business when he was 34 so he's been doing it for half his life, and now it was time to be with his son.

040314_david_letterman_10th_anniversary_launch_v3

Letterman began his Hollywood career as a stand-up comedian in the late 1970s, appearing several times on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson." He got his morning show in 1980 and began his late night career in 1982 on NBC with "Late Night with David Letterman."

040314_david_letterman_taco_bell_launch

11 years later in 1993, Letterman moved to CBS to host "The Late Show with David Letterman," after Jay Leno was tapped to replace Johnny Carson on NBC.

Letterman's CBS contract is scheduled to expire next year and Letterman won't be re-upping.

0403_david_letterman_footer

rolm

This old goat should have been out years ago like at least 10 years ago. I saw him a few times in the last month he was awful just like watching a confused old man. I say he will not make 2015

Kim

See ya ! good riddance

suberj

Cher had it right...he's an a s hole

merle

I never cared for his show but I am glad it will give him time with his son.

Mutley

I hear "Weird' Al Yankovich is receiving serious consideration as a replacement. Dave is personally behind him.

Carlos

One less left wing prick on TV ..

luke martin

good and take opra with you

p51d007

The quicker the better!
Haven't watched him since he moved to CBS because they threw a TON of money at him, nothing wrong with that, but he became what a lot of the so called 99%ers hate, "RICH". He moved up to "the hamptons" type of area, and to "protect" himself, became another left wing loony liberal leaning socialist America hater. His shows are always putting down what made this country great. Yeah, Johnny Carson was a liberal, but the difference between him and these "shock jock" late night clowns is Carson had enough sense to keep his political opinion off his show. Bye Dave, hope you fade off and we never see you again!

Bill911SC

Too early to know if I'll miss Letterman but I definately won't miss that big mouth Paul Schaefer.

Hamm

Thank God had too many fooled for too long. Bye creep

johnny

finally!

Kaveman

THANK GOD!! DAVID LETTERMAN IS A TALENT-LESS FOOL!

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Even an older guy like me realizes that late night has to be switched up a bit from David Letterman's style. I'm not sure if it's the highly charged Jimmy Fallon style, but Dave is just plain boring now. It's been a good run but it's over.

Bill911SC

Truth

THE ONLY GOOD SHOWS ARE WITH HOWARD STERN. EVERYTHING ELSE PRETTY MUCH SUCKED --- EXCEPT WHEN HOT CHICS WERE ON. #TRUTH!!