Stephen Colbert

Named David Letterman's Replacement

4/10/2014 9:04 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0410-stephen-colbert-01
Stephen Colbert
has been named as David Letterman's replacement, taking over as host of CBS' "Late Show."

Letterman announced just last week he was retiring in 2015. According to CBS, Colbert is being given a five-year deal.

In making the announcement, Colbert said, "Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career. I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead. I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

Colbert was part of "The Daily Show" from 1997 until leaving to host "The Colbert Report." Colbert has hosted that show on Comedy Central since 2005.

041014_colbet_letterman_launch

HRH Prince Michael

Craig?!

Tazz

Craig Ferguson is way more funnier.

mandii~sue

I thibk it could be a great choice. Hes very funny. Will be interesting to see him not as his usual persona but more real. I was never a david letterman fan so this is a huge improvment to me. Yes i love chelsea as well but there os no way she could of pulled off that job. And fallon is still better then anyone else on.

WTF

It's way too early to believe this one.

golflady

Thank God it wasn't Handler - what a vile woman.

Socalpimp

Would it kill CBS to hire a minority? Why don't they practice what they preach?

Allen

I Very Happy. Now there will be someone to watch after the news. Jimmy Fallon is O.K. but his goofy humor is too much on a nightly basis. Leno, or actually Carson was the best.

carol

Colbert against Fallon. CBS is in trouble. He won't last 5 years.

Chris

1. Great choice. Remember he's "in character" on his current show, so we'll see something different. 2. Obliviously he was signed before Dave announced, so I wonder if it will be a year from now. Guess it depends on ratings.

Wow ...

Smart move by CBS! He is an excellent chose. Congrats Stephen!

blahblah

Who?

TuxThePenguin

I love that guy!

Gold37

Colbert is the perfect choice to take over David Letterman's position. He's also a pompous ass with a rude attitude towards his guests.

kitnplayn

That's got to be hurting Jon Stewart right in the rectum.

Jordan

This News is going to Really anger Bill O'Reilly? Now Colbert will Not only Make what Bill does but probably get paid an extra 2 Million on top of what Bill Makes.