B.B. King

Sorry I Sucked in STL

I Was Off My Meds!

4/15/2014 9:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

040814_bb_king_launch_v2 B.B. King is totally embarrassed by his subpar performance in St. Louis recently -- but his rep tells TMZ, he has a good excuse for sucking ... the blues legend was off his meds.

King's April 4th performance at the Peabody Opera House was meandering and stilted, he chatted with the audience more than he sang, people heckled him, and some even walked out. It was bad.

But a rep for B.B. -- who's 88 years old by the way -- tells us, "Mr. King suffers from diabetes -- and he mistakenly missed a dose of his prescribed medication on the show day."

In addition to his high blood sugar problem, King's rep says the singer was exhausted from a 1,600 mile bus trip from Vegas -- adding, "Simply put, it was a bad night for one of America's living blues legends -- and Mr. King apologizes and humbly asks for the understanding of his fans."

Now here's one of his best performances.

Thomas K.

Saw him Phoenix within the last year. I love him, but he's far beyond the ability to perform. About the only song he played and sang was 30 minutes of "You are my Sunshine." I was seriously disppointed. His band was awesome, but it's time BB to hang it up. I felt ripped off.

IceGypsy

Oh not good to be missing your diabetes, especially when you are pushing yourself to do so many shows, and at his age. I'm sure he's got an assistant of sorts on the road. Might be a good idea to put the meds in control of someone else to make sure he's not missing it like that.

Dead@27

Props to a living legend for showing up all these years.
I'd love to see him, and I don't care how he plays now. I saw John Lee Hooker a couple years before he passed. Other people had to tune his guitar for him mid-play. They followed along with him as he played 13-bar blues. Didn't matter, we all knew we were in the presence of musical greatness.

dog

Good God people! The man is the King of Blues AAAAAND he's 88! Pray you're still rockin' it at 88! Disrespectful selfish brats!

WallStreet

I saw his 25+ years ago - he had baaaad diarrhea, and kept leaving the stage every few songs for 5 to 10 minutes at a time, and his band played stuff. Indoor venue, we were 1st row, and you could smell the stank from our seats. He is a legend, but damn, that mans colon was conducting chemical warfare that nite.

Cynstriss

It would be an honor just to be in the room with BB King. How lucky this audience was to get music and a chat with a living legend.

Chris

Just honor the legend he is. Everyone loses it with advanced age. Yes, bothers me when when they roll them out it wheelchairs, a shell of their former selves. Seen a Beach Boy concert lately?

Dr. Cornelia J. Dogbarker PhD

Don't you dare say a bad word about BB King, you worthless peasants.

Clyde T.M. Nestra

Geez, 88 and traveling 160...0 miles by bus? He wouldn't have to miss his meds to be eff'd up. But the fans still got ripped off. A partial refund would have gone a long way to make up for it.

bmsvds

Agree that he is a legend, but no pass on this one. We saw his concert in 2006. It was disjointed, he rambled on and on about civil rights and not riding in the back of the bus. Played his guitar sporadically. Folks were leaving the performance early, as well.

Sargio

Walked out on a 88 year old guitar LEGEND! Classless douche move. I would be happy just hear BB King talk incoherently.

pj

Yep my grandmother was a diabetic. When she didn't take her medicine she wanting to kill.

Rigby

He's allowed to have a bad night. Give him a break

She's baaaack

People boo'd B B King? Really?? He could have pulled up a chair on stage and sat there for an hour and I would have applauded for 10 minutes.

Gretel

When I was in grad school I lived in New Orleans and used to see him all them time when he played Preservation Hall. He was BB King! He's diabetic and 88, so even traveling so much and doing gigs is quite a feat.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments