« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

George Brett

I'M FINALLY GONNA MEET LORDE

... After Inspiring 'Royals'

4/15/2014 3:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0414_George-Brett_lorde_gettyHe was the inspiration for her biggest hit, but now George Brett tells TMZ Sports ... he's FINALLY going to meet Lorde!!

Brett tells us ... Lorde's people reached out to him and asked if he would like to hang with the "Royals" singer before her concert in Vegas tonight.

Brett says he immediately accepted the invitation -- and says he's really excited to meet her.

FYI -- Lorde has previously stated that she was inspired to write the song after seeing an image of Brett in National Geographic wearing his Kansas City Royals uniform.

"It was just that word. It's really cool," Lorde said.

Brett says he's been invited to meet up with Lorde in the past, but had scheduling conflicts -- so he sent her a few thank-you gifts in his place ... including an autographed #5 jersey.

We'll let you know what happens when they finally come face to face tonight!

Stay tuned ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Krighton

Life is hard now.. isn't it?

MCumley

Joke is on her. Dude is an *******. Arrogant, always the loudest voice in the room. I've seen him at a local steak house, tavern in the village, a hand full of times.

ffs

Let's hope he doesn't poop his pants like another time he was in vegas. Best George Brett story ever, from his own mouth!!

Dee

Was he up in an umpires' face, cursing them out?

quick_Kimberly27

I have lived in the kc metro area mine entire life. Being raised by a single father sports have ALWAYS been a big part of my life. Growing up I loved George Brett a kansas city celebrity. I finally got a chance to meet him in person. My son who is 6yrs old was in complete awe of him especially it being his first year playing baseball. My son and I approached at a baseball event to get his autograph in his Royals jersey. My son was the first to speak to him being he was so excited he ran to the table. George Brett was rude and my son was crushed by the way he treated him and did not get his autograph. I personally have always looked to George Brett as a hero and a terrific player. On out way home being so angry with the situation I threw his jersey away. I feel pro athletes are a role model for today's society and their fans are half the reason for success. George Brett is an heartless a******!

Truth

She's just meh. No great talent here, just another music industry hype job who will be gone in a few years or sooner.

Umanyways

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

lilly

I was reading about Brett found his wife here http://fabwags.com/leslie-davenport-brett-royals-player-george-bretts-wife/ they make a great couple

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2