« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Delino DeShields Jr.

LIQUID DIET

After Baseball Obliterates Face

4/21/2014 4:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0421-delino-DeShields-twitter-01
Delino DeShields Jr. -- the minor leaguer who became an Internet sensation after being hit in the face with a 90mph fastball -- tells TMZ Sports ... he's well on the road to recovery -- thanks to a strict liquid diet.

Actually, what he said was ... "mmmmrrrpphhhhhmrrphhhh" ... but he was kind enough to send us some text messages about his health.

0421-Delino-DeShields-beforeafter-getty-twitter-01

Little backstory -- DD2, son of former MLB stud Delino DeShields, suffered a broken left cheek bone while playing for the Houston Astros Double-A team on Friday night.

Here's how our convo went:

TMZ Sports: What are you eating?
DD2: "I'm drinking Muscle Milk. That's all I can really have right now. I'm gonna be sick of it in a couple days lol. I can eat real food whenever my teeth don't hurt to chew."

TMZ Sports: Are you drinking out of a tube?
DD2: "Nah, my mouth isn't sewed shut lol. I can drink out of a bottle, I just have to make sure it don't run out of my mouth lol."

TMZ Sports: It's a terrible looking injury ...
DD2: "Yeah, but I can look back at it and see how blessed I was that it wasn't worse, you know?"

TMZ Sports: Were you scared your face was going to be permanently messed up?
DD2: "I thought the nerves in my face were destroyed because my face was numb, but I'm getting feeling back so that's good."

TMZ Sports: When will you play again?
DD2: "I could've played the day after, but my team is being extra cautious. It will be a couple of weeks."

DELINO ENDED WITH... "You should show some before and after pics so people don't think I'm a freak lol"

Get well soon, man.

0421-Delino-DeShields-beforeafter-getty-twitter-01 For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

sucka67

Oh Delino you're a freak a damn super freak! Good luck in your recovery.

P-Dog

What's this TMZ sports? You guys are a bunch of dorks sitting around with no lives.

She's baaaack

He's a very lucky man. That's going to take a while to get back to normal.

Teresa andrews

That's so awful! Poor guy. Get well soon.

Sarah Sota

Or should the headline read that half of his face freakishly shrank?

Mysic_beats2013

Wow he's tough I couldn't even imagine the pain he's going through

kells

Seems like a sweet guy. Hope he feels better soon.

OhWell

Is That Kayne West?

bart

Looks painful, I remember his dad playing for the Dodgers. Hopefully he is a better ball player than is father. Just joking, hope he recovers well and is able to still play ball.

JA

Ouch!

Yurra Knutz

(If his friends ever complain about petty crap.)
Shut the F up bro!
I got hit in the friggin' face with a 90 mph fastball.

PureRadiance

Thats looking painful!

Bkshorti

OMGS! Is all I can say.

Gordo

Not familiar with who he is but he seems like a great guy and good sport
Don't know if I could keep my sense of humor like he seems to have
Thats a terrible looking injury

Good luck buddy
Get better

Marina326

OMG - that poor guy. It's hard to even look at him. Ugh. . get well soon kiddo.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments