« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Delino DeShields Jr.

LIQUID DIET

After Baseball Obliterates Face

4/21/2014 4:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0421-delino-DeShields-twitter-01
Delino DeShields Jr. -- the minor leaguer who became an Internet sensation after being hit in the face with a 90mph fastball -- tells TMZ Sports ... he's well on the road to recovery -- thanks to a strict liquid diet.

Actually, what he said was ... "mmmmrrrpphhhhhmrrphhhh" ... but he was kind enough to send us some text messages about his health.

0421-Delino-DeShields-beforeafter-getty-twitter-01

Little backstory -- DD2, son of former MLB stud Delino DeShields, suffered a broken left cheek bone while playing for the Houston Astros Double-A team on Friday night.

Here's how our convo went:

TMZ Sports: What are you eating?
DD2: "I'm drinking Muscle Milk. That's all I can really have right now. I'm gonna be sick of it in a couple days lol. I can eat real food whenever my teeth don't hurt to chew."

TMZ Sports: Are you drinking out of a tube?
DD2: "Nah, my mouth isn't sewed shut lol. I can drink out of a bottle, I just have to make sure it don't run out of my mouth lol."

TMZ Sports: It's a terrible looking injury ...
DD2: "Yeah, but I can look back at it and see how blessed I was that it wasn't worse, you know?"

TMZ Sports: Were you scared your face was going to be permanently messed up?
DD2: "I thought the nerves in my face were destroyed because my face was numb, but I'm getting feeling back so that's good."

TMZ Sports: When will you play again?
DD2: "I could've played the day after, but my team is being extra cautious. It will be a couple of weeks."

DELINO ENDED WITH... "You should show some before and after pics so people don't think I'm a freak lol"

Get well soon, man.

0421-Delino-DeShields-beforeafter-getty-twitter-01 For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

DAYUM

Are you sure they removed the baseball? xP

namers

Arnica Montana for bruising. Works.

Chris

Aaawww, Bless his heart! He's got the best attitude too. What an awesome guy... So happy he's gonna make a full recovery and thanks for sure cause boy it coulda been so much worse. Get well soon and will definitely be looking for his return to the game, :)

Livvie

Ouch! Feel better soon.

Amanda

If this is legit, than looks awful!! BUT-TMZ shows the picture of the injury on the left side of his face--while MSN is showing a photo of the injury on the right side of his face. What is up with that?!?! Seriously. I have looked back and forth between both sites......

nsin

The pic on MSN shows the right side of his face as swollen. I wonder which one of them reversed it - MSN or TMZ?

Cookie

Poor guy! God bless and get better soon!

TnAhoes

Dang!

blanketjackson

That muhfuh look like a Fat Albert character.

toddpugz7111

reminds me of Red Sox player Tony Conigliaro, who took a pitch right in the eye.

L-Dub

Poor guy

Socal

Get better soon!

rinkydink

Keep your eyes on the ball

manbearpig

he looks like jay-z now.

jaye

On sports grid and other places I've seen this story, the face is swollen on he other side. Must be magic.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments