« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dominique Wilkins

Sterling Audio Proves Racism

Still Huge Problem in USA

4/26/2014 8:26 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0426-dominique-wilkins-tmz-getty-01Atlanta Hawks exec Dominique Wilkins -- former NBA great -- tells TMZ Sports ... he's not surprised by Donald Sterling's racist comments ... claiming racism is still a huge problem in the United States.

"As a VP for the Hawks it is appalling to wake up to this story," Wilkins says ... "It is in no way anything that I know MY NBA at ANY level to promote, condone or harbor behind closed doors or openly."

But Wilkins explains, "As a black man living in the South, this is not something that is a surprise. Racism is prevalent, still a problem and something that can NOT be taken lightly in ANY context!”

He continues, "As a former Clipper, I feel for the community of LA. It is a melting pot of culture and ALL races. For Clipper fans, staff and players, I do hope this is dealt with swiftly and justly. It is just totally disappointing."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Realism

YES I AGREE THAT RACISM IS STILL A BIG PROBLEM. WHY DON'T YOU ASK MR STEVE UTASH IN DETROIT IF HE WAKES UP FROM THE SEVERE BEATING FROM A BLACK MOB.

Robert B

People tend to forget, racism on a personal level is not illegal. It is only illegal if it is used to effect the duties of a persons job. They also tend to forget that it works both ways. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for it, however we never hear of issues relating to racism going the other way. A person still has the right to their own beliefs an the right to share that belief on a personal level. How many times might any of his players made a comment to their girlfriends, wives, friends etc, in a manner against someone of another race. This person has just as much right to be a racist as anyone has to be a jerk. Should we kick him out of the NBA. That's not my place, but if we do then we would also have to look at kicking out any player that has made an uncomfortable comment about another race. .. "White men can't jump", We have to let the player go.

Brian

I hope he isn't saying just whites and blacks. I'd say whites are the smallest problem. It's more a problem between blacks and Hispanics. Both of those groups hate the other one. There's a lot of people who still hate other races. That seems like a problem all over the world though. It's not a problem in the US. It's everywhere.

Jennifer

There are blacks who hate whites just as much as there are whites who hate blacks. I'm sick of it being a one way road.

SportsFanMom

Sadly, racism is alive & well--minorities just keep quiet about it & excel in spite of it. Just watched Linsanity film about Jeremy Lin. Unbelievable the racial epithets he has been barraged with by fans all the way from his Harvard days to his days in the NBA. This is the United State of America in the 21st Century, land of the free, the great melting pot. We pride ourselves as the leader of the world. Are we really still this barbaric??

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2