Deryck Whibley

Alive But Wasting Away in First Pic

Since Near-Death Experience

5/19/2014 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0519-deryk-whibley-splash-01
Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley is a shell of himself -- looking shockingly frail today as he leaned on others for support ... days after admitting he nearly died from years of hardcore drinking.

Deryck had to be held up by two women during a walk in Los Angeles.

On Friday, Deryck revealed he'd been laid up in a hospital bed for a month, and confessed on his blog... "the reason i got so sick is from all the hard boozing i’ve been doing over the years. it finally caught up to me."

Deryck says his liver and kidneys collapsed, and docs have told him if he has one drink he will die.

The damage is obvious when you remember how Deryck looked in his heyday with Avril Lavigne.

0519-deryck-whibley-avril-lavigne-getty-01

Hiro

Hope he's getting alimony from Avril, since losing her to the guy from Nickleback probably sent that drinking over the edge.

BirthdaySuit16/24

Shocking😱 wtf!

tgrfan42069

tbh it just looks like he hasnt had much sleep..those bags under his eyes...but this is my thing we keep seeing the government crack down on cigs..meanwhile alcohol is just as bad yet we hear crickets on it..i guess it is because those big shots love to throw down booze and party

Racismisdead

Thats just heartbreaking. Good energies to you man..hope you find peace.

ironica

Sad waste of life. Hopefully he'll give everything he has to this second chance. And on a side note, how the hell is Charlie Sheen still alive??

JennA

He has a drug history too, and it sure looks from this pic that he may have relapsed. His face is covered in sores and he's aged himself a couple of decades. Not than alcohol abuse can't have major physical effects, but I think he's been doing more than boozing.

bring back recent posts

You can see his distended stomach with a enlarged liver and probably ascitites .... He will never get back his scarred liver, but enough is there for him to live since he got treatment in the nick of time...and YES , anymore alcohol will push him over and he will not recover. Multiple organ failure will be in his future many decades before it should be. I wish him the best and think he should kick back find healthy environments and feel blessed he is still alive. Going back to work will kill him. Good luck friend!

KicksandGiggles

Well WTF this dude drank, needs to be off the market asap!!! By the way...........HTH is he? Anyway, he must have boozed as a toddler. DAYUM!!!!!

mousetrap

I have known several people over the years that this has happened to (I'm old). Some have lived through it, some haven't. It usually happens to alcoholics who are drinking large amounts of alcohol day after day after day. They poison their system to the point their internal organs start shutting down. Or they develop alcoholic hepatitis and their liver shuts down. Sometimes a liver shutdown will trigger a kidney shutdown which will then trigger a lungs shutdown and then cardiac arrest. My cousin was in the hospital for two months for this after a week on life support. A good friend of mine didn't make it off life support. He was too bad off. No hope. They had to disconnect him. It happens all the freaking time. It can happen to people who are not alcoholics, also, who just have way too much to drink at once.

Dee

Yep. He's looking a lil jaundiced there. You can sure tell the difference between pics.

She should not be marrying someone who is deep into his addiction. She's most likely unhealthy too.
`
Addicts are not allowed to be in any relationship during their 1st year of sobriety.
Every time they lose their sobriety, the 1 year without a relationship starts over again.

Joey

Wow he is only 34, I hope he makes it. It doesn't look good though.

Todd

I had to respond after reading some of these comments something I never do because it's not worth the time. Especially the hateful and mean ones. You haters who constantly post on TMZ must have a pathetic life. I pray for him to get well soon!! As humans we all rise and fall, but who we are is judged by what we do after that happens. I did not know this band until I just listened to them on iTunes. I bought a few songs.

I hope you're reading this Deryck and I want you to know that you're very talented, and I hope that you recover from your illness very soon. I personally fell from a high point in my life and I can't tell you how difficult I found that to be. Illnesses like this are hard to recover from but I know you can do it. With hard work, the right support group, the right group therapy, I know you're going to make it.

kewljewl

Alcohol is a hell of a drug...it also can lead to colon cancer among other things. Plz kids whatever u do...stay away from.alcohol...its a killer. Trust me!!

Livvie

At least he's alive. For being in the hospital that sick it's amazing he's even walking!