Deryck Whibley

Alive But Wasting Away in First Pic

Since Near-Death Experience

5/19/2014 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0519-deryk-whibley-splash-01
Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley is a shell of himself -- looking shockingly frail today as he leaned on others for support ... days after admitting he nearly died from years of hardcore drinking.

Deryck had to be held up by two women during a walk in Los Angeles.

On Friday, Deryck revealed he'd been laid up in a hospital bed for a month, and confessed on his blog... "the reason i got so sick is from all the hard boozing i’ve been doing over the years. it finally caught up to me."

Deryck says his liver and kidneys collapsed, and docs have told him if he has one drink he will die.

The damage is obvious when you remember how Deryck looked in his heyday with Avril Lavigne.

0519-deryck-whibley-avril-lavigne-getty-01

Joey

Wow he is only 34, I hope he makes it. It doesn't look good though.

Todd

I had to respond after reading some of these comments something I never do because it's not worth the time. Especially the hateful and mean ones. You haters who constantly post on TMZ must have a pathetic life. I pray for him to get well soon!! As humans we all rise and fall, but who we are is judged by what we do after that happens. I did not know this band until I just listened to them on iTunes. I bought a few songs.

I hope you're reading this Deryck and I want you to know that you're very talented, and I hope that you recover from your illness very soon. I personally fell from a high point in my life and I can't tell you how difficult I found that to be. Illnesses like this are hard to recover from but I know you can do it. With hard work, the right support group, the right group therapy, I know you're going to make it.

kewljewl

Alcohol is a hell of a drug...it also can lead to colon cancer among other things. Plz kids whatever u do...stay away from.alcohol...its a killer. Trust me!!

Livvie

At least he's alive. For being in the hospital that sick it's amazing he's even walking!

Chall

Never been much of a fan of sum 41.. But at least he's honest about what's going on..got to give him credit for that.. I hope he gets better..stay away from alcohol & drugs I've seen 1st hand what it does.. Better off being curios forever than to touch either at all...

nof

Come all the way back, dude -

If you've been to the Mountain you can Return.

It's even better the second time around.

Doodlebug

He looks like a tiny guy no wonder his body can't handle alcohol

Doodlebug

He has a hellava fight ahead of him ...this looks worse then cancer

somuchbs

Never heard of the group or him. How old is this guy?

Unbroken Chain

Who is that guy? He looks like Leonardo Dicaprio when he played that little retarded boy. I hope he gets better tho. Alcohol destroys the body worse than any drug if abused daily

Skit hater

Skit if one of ur immediate family or your closest friend struggled with alcoholism u would look them in the eye and call them a dumb ass u got no sympathy form me and here is another "shot of whiskey ".

John

That is way more than just booze.

Clytemnestra

Very sad to see anyone his age in such bad shape. Deryck: You have a chance to live, I hope you will take it. Good luck.

mrsediaz

God bless don't know you or your band but I will pray for you to get through this no human should be left alone in a time like this hope andpray for your recovery

Choade McPooter

Jesus, he looks like a Charles Dickens character. Please, sir may I have some more?