« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Rory McIlroy

THE WEDDING IS OFF

I'm Breaking Up with You

5/21/2014 6:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki Break Up

Just 5 months after poppin' the question ... and days after wedding invites went out ... golf superstar Rory McIlroy has BROKEN OFF HIS ENGAGEMENT to tennis star Caroline Wozniacki.

Rory issued a statement taking responsibility for the split -- saying, "The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realize that I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails."'

He continued, "I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had. I will not be saying anything more about our relationship in any setting."

Though he broke his promise and DID talk more about the relationship during a media event for the BMW PGA Championship ... telling reporters, "It is quite a difficult time for Caroline and myself, and the statement really said it all this morning."

"It was mutual and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us. Time to move on, and I've said all that I need to say."

Rory and Caroline had been dating since 2011 -- and he finally proposed to Caroline on New Year's Eve with a MASSIVE diamond engagement ring he gave her while in Sydney, Australia.

Wonder if he's gonna get that back?
 0521-subasset-rory-engaged-caroline-twitter For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sheldon Siegel

It's kind of refreshing to NOT hear every freaking detail of a break-up for a change.

BLUE UGLY 💩

He cheated

TuxThePenguin

TMZ Sports. Golf. slow day? hope you figured out who blocked off thousands of people in here last night to spam your site with pop-ups. If not... call me. thanks. BUH-bye.

Zeze

She should have known he was a jerk when he broke up with her for posting that picture of him sleeping.

Unbroken Chain

Huh. Well I guess it's for the best instead of divorcing later. He should let her keep the ring though if he wants to be classy about it

PokeFangirl

Didn't he pull this same crap with his ex Holly? He clearly has commitment issues.

EL444

Mutual My Hiney.

Reginaphalange

They have the same mouth

c

“It was mutual”

Translation: “I’m a cowardly weasel who waited way too long to break off the engagement but I don’t want to look too bad in the media so I’ll put some of the blame on her.”

I hope she keeps the ring.

Ron Fing Swanson

They look like brother and sister

mikecragar

I guess he didn't like her banging other guys.

A.J.

Thank god. His golf gamed started sucking the day they hooked up.

LB

Problem with engagements now is people gotta broadcast it, gloat, etc. Then half the time end it. Tell you what, quietly get engaged, go away and do a destination wedding and honeymoon. Tell everybody when you get back.

kommit

Poor Caroline--he should have realized he wasn't ready for all that marriage entails BEFORE he gave her a ring. What a jerk!

01void

He never could get a hoe in one

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments