« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mark Cuban

APOLOGIZES TO TRAYVON MARTIN'S FAMILY

5/22/2014 2:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0522-cuban-treyvon-tmz-01
Mark Cuban has just issued an apology to the family of Trayvon Martin ... claiming he wasn't thinking to consider Martin's family when he mentioned a black person in a hoodie in a conversation about prejudice.

Cuban just tweeted, "In hindsight I should have used different examples.  I didn't consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that."

He added, "Beyond apologizing to the Martin family,  I stand by the words and substance of the interview."

Cuban is referring to the comments he made during an interview in Nashville where he said, "I know I'm prejudiced and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways. If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos, I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

NGAPLZ

Yeah, sure... And Mark "Cuban" Chabenisky handling Donald "Sterling" Tokowitz with velvet gloves wasn't racially motivated either.

speakMYbrain

If I see a rich SNOB walking down the street I rob them.

tgrfan42069

so if someone gets robbed by a black guy wearing a hoodie..can he tell the cops they had on a hoodie or would that be offensive to trayvons family?

jeebus chris

His remarks weren't racist, and I he's right that we all have our own prejudices and bigotries. Part of it is just being street smart. He was just expressing honestly what most people are unwilling to. I thought the apology was classy.

speakMYbrain

Every since trayvon was killed EVERYBODY KNOWS what I black person in a hoodie means. He know wtf he was saying BUT if thats how he feels he ADMITTED it and thats better than hiding it. I don't think he is racist but he knew what he was saying.

speakMYbrain

*knew

lucius

Mary Collins Finn I see u focus on the lil things and not the point I can describ u in one word but I want.

Brian

If Mark Cuban sees a middle class person walking toward him he probably crosses the street too.

Tessa

Oh so ALL hoodies have been trademarked by Trayvon freakin Martin? Get over it. NO apologies.

sickwitit

If he keeps crossing the street at this rate he won't get mugged but hit by on going traffic.

Rocking

Mark Cuban knows how make money...just that..it's not a roll model to follow. Billionaire and very close to be in a mental institution soon !

Texas45

So,we should applaud this idiot for his transparency ?the part about what he said that bothered me was the fact that he would cross the street if he seen a black guy wearing a hoodie.Thats downright ignorant.We're talking about a person wearing clothing for God sake,a sweater.To add insult to injury he says he'd do the same thing thing if he seen a white guy with tattoos all over his body.So now a guy who looks like a Monster covered in tattoos is the same as a black guy wearing a ****ing sweater? Ignorant and alarming.

Texas45

He best never go to Atlanta he'll be crossing all day.

Tom Esso

i see a guy like treyvon, first thing that comes to my head is, " wheres my 12 gauge, gotta put this ni gg er down for good"

your mom says

If liberals had their way there would be no true diversity because everything that is unique about the races would be diluted and blended into similarity.

Mark is brave to speak out on this matter I havent seen any interviews with other NBA owners chiming in.

He is going to vote sterling out. Im sure Mark believes in Sterlings right to the American freedom to choose to be an offensive *******, and own any business you want, However, the NBA is a collective, and when one owner in that collective acts to tarnish the brand it affects all their money and therefore the freedom to be an ******* is then trumped by the power of the collective and their collective income.

However, if u shaved your head and had tattoos you wouldnt have to cross the street when u see a pack of spooks..