« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mark Cuban

APOLOGIZES TO TRAYVON MARTIN'S FAMILY

5/22/2014 2:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0522-cuban-treyvon-tmz-01
Mark Cuban has just issued an apology to the family of Trayvon Martin ... claiming he wasn't thinking to consider Martin's family when he mentioned a black person in a hoodie in a conversation about prejudice.

Cuban just tweeted, "In hindsight I should have used different examples.  I didn't consider the Trayvon Martin family, and I apologize to them for that."

He added, "Beyond apologizing to the Martin family,  I stand by the words and substance of the interview."

Cuban is referring to the comments he made during an interview in Nashville where he said, "I know I'm prejudiced and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways. If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos, I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

rsmik

If Trayvon Martin's family owns a trademark for blacks in hoodies, Cuban would have to pay up as well as apologize for using the term without permission. Otherwise, they need to stfu and move on with their lives just like everyone else does.

gprints

This apology is hollow. Cuban really feels this way about every Black man wearjng a hoodie. Let's be clear...HE IS NOT SORRY FOR WHAT HE SAID. HE IS SORRY IT MAY HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON DALLAS MAVS TICKET SALES!!!

Randy

Mark Cubain is not a racist, He is just human. avoid trouble beforehand and always be aware of your surroundings and if your uncomfortable change it. people need to get over pretending nothing scares them and that nobody will do them harm. I get away from shady characters before any trouble starts so i guess i am a raciest also, even tho i have neighbors who are mexican and have a wife that is Black, who carries pepper spray with her at all times. There should be no reason a person has a gun unless they plan to use it and thats the problem i think. you never know if the person coming towards you has a weapon they plan to use on you or another person.

mary collins finn

I don't think this required any apology. He didn't single out any particular skin color to illustrate his thought processes…"black kid in a hoodie"…."white guy with shaved head and tattoos." Too much PCness here!

NGAPLZ

Yeah, sure... And Mark "Cuban" Chabenisky handling Donald "Sterling" Tokowitz with velvet gloves wasn't racially motivated either.

speakMYbrain

If I see a rich SNOB walking down the street I rob them.

tgrfan42069

so if someone gets robbed by a black guy wearing a hoodie..can he tell the cops they had on a hoodie or would that be offensive to trayvons family?

jeebus chris

His remarks weren't racist, and I he's right that we all have our own prejudices and bigotries. Part of it is just being street smart. He was just expressing honestly what most people are unwilling to. I thought the apology was classy.

speakMYbrain

Every since trayvon was killed EVERYBODY KNOWS what I black person in a hoodie means. He know wtf he was saying BUT if thats how he feels he ADMITTED it and thats better than hiding it. I don't think he is racist but he knew what he was saying.

speakMYbrain

*knew

lucius

Mary Collins Finn I see u focus on the lil things and not the point I can describ u in one word but I want.

Brian

If Mark Cuban sees a middle class person walking toward him he probably crosses the street too.

Tessa

Oh so ALL hoodies have been trademarked by Trayvon freakin Martin? Get over it. NO apologies.

sickwitit

If he keeps crossing the street at this rate he won't get mugged but hit by on going traffic.

Rocking

Mark Cuban knows how make money...just that..it's not a roll model to follow. Billionaire and very close to be in a mental institution soon !