« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Donald Sterling

Surrenders Control of Clippers

... to Shelly

5/23/2014 6:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0522-shelly-donald-sterling-02

Donald Sterling is no longer the controlling owner of the Los Angeles Clippers ... TMZ Sports has learned he just surrendered control to his estranged wife, Shelly Sterling, and she is now secretly negotiating with the NBA to sell the team ... ON HER TERMS.

Sources close to the Clippers organization tell us ... Donald made the decision because he saw the handwriting on the wall -- as long as he remained in control, the NBA would order an involuntary sale of the team.

Our sources say Shelly and her lawyer, Pierce O'Donnell, have been secretly meeting with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and NBA lawyers to "resolve the dispute amicably."    We're told Shelly realizes the NBA wants the team sold, but she has significantly more leverage and credibility with the league than Donald.  Her end game is simple -- she won't object to the sale, but SHE wants to call the shots.

0522-odonnell
Our Sterling sources say Shelly is prepared to sue the NBA and she will file legal docs (not the suit itself but papers laying out her case) on Tuesday if the NBA orders an INVOLUNTARY sale.  She's down with a sale but only a voluntary one that puts her in control.

Attorney Pierce O'Donnell would not comment on this story, but did say, "Shelly Sterling's preference has always been to find a way to resolve this dispute amicably with the NBA in a mutually satisfactory manner."

More Sterling Stories
Donald Sterling At In-N-Out Burger With Asian Chick -- FLOSSIN' Justin Timberlake's Billboard Awards Speech -- Hey Donald Sterling: EVERYONE HATES YOU!!! AIDS United -- Donald Sterling's Views on AIDS Are Dangerous Gilbert Arenas -- I Forgive Donald Sterling

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

man930

They will both get the profits. Old man Sterling had no choice.

EMB

Better make Mark Cuban sell also, he said bad things the other day.

Cookie Lady

Gee whiz, no one saw that coming.

Hairyelf

She gave control of the team, not ownership. If she was given ownership, then when the team was sold, she would get the money. Donald may be a senile old bat, but I don't think he is that crazy.

myopinion

GREAT news. Cuban should be fined.

Sandra

She is no better than her husband and the Sterlings have to go.

Honest~Gal

I realize what Donald Sterling said is deplorable, but lets face fats, if we were all put under scrutiny, I am sure none of us is immune from making less than stellar comments about others, lets face it, we all as part of th human race guilty of saying things that without a second thought guilty of not always being nice, I was raised to believe that while we point our fingers at one person we fail to see the 3 pointing back at ourselves, it was a private conversation taped,it should have never gotten this far, we are too quick to judge and tear a person down.I don't agree with Sterling,but like it,lump it or leave it, they are his own personal belifs...who are we to crucify and judge a man who is so obviously old school and in the dark ages, Why is ok for some to make the most heinous cruel comments about other ppl regardless of race color or creed without any backlash at all, while others are viewed as a complete monster? No I don't condone Sterlings comments, they r vile, but believe it or not, with or without his private comments,, the world will move on, and he isn't the only person to feel this way, he just got caught.

Honest~Gal

Ugh spell check does not work here, I must do better at proof reading before sending, my comments.

The Man They Call Louis

That's a crock, neither him or Shelly should have "a say" in the sale of the Clippers. The NBA has it's own rules and regulations. They shouldn't heave to conform to any rules or what Shelly wants. Donald needs to just sell the team...

Kristinajp

Good for her. She should get assets. Her husband has already humiliated her to the world. The clippers should be happy. ..I had no idea who they were before this scandal...

lkelly816

They both are a piece of work and they've been scheming and conniving together all along. Shelly's interview with Barbara Walters was complete BS.

maxovrdriv

I missed it what did he say?

maxovrdriv

I missed it what did he say to start all this?

Matt m

Nobody should be able to make him sell his team. He can say what he wants if people dont want to play with him thats fine i hope he ties this up in the courts for years

MariNapp1

I wouldn't sell ****! I'd fight it w/ all his money he would exhaust the NBA commissioner and he would suffer the financial brunt of it all. I would not give into The commissioners bull he's just trying to look good in the peoples eyes that keep this crap alive! Screw the NBA I'm getting rid of my basketball subscription!