« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NBA Commish Adam Silver

BANNING STERLING WASN'T PERSONAL

... It's Just Business.

5/29/2014 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Adam Silver Donald Sterling NBA Ban
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver tells us ... making the decision to ban Donald Sterling from the league for life was "very difficult" ... but it's business -- and it had to be done.

Silver was out in NYC yesterday when he began talking to TMZ Sports -- which he says has consistently shocked him.

We asked if his personal relationship with the disgraced Clippers owner -- which spanned more than 2 decades -- made it even harder to dish out the punishment. Silver's answer seems pretty genuine.

But at the end of the day, Silver says ... "It's business. And I think he understood that as well."

Bonus -- Silver says he's a huge Justin Bieber fan ... but then he kinda disses Austin Mahone.

The Mahomies are gonna be pisssssed!!!!!! For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

Silver felt he had something to prove.

zombie

Why is an NBA commissioner talking about twinks?

Faunmax

Silver was a wuss. He should have sanctioned or fined Sterling, maybe but making him sell his team.... no way. Silver has no balls. He caved solely because of public pressure.

Anarchyinanaheim

He is also banning Cosmo Kramer for life.

King Quic

Why were they getting his autograph? Its not like he's a player or something. He's just the commissioner.

myopinion

I agree Silver.

Rectum? Damn Nearly Killed Him!

I didn't know Mr Burns was the NBA commissioner

Dominee

Just business my a$$. While Sterling was wrong and deserves a massive fine that should be paid out to various charities, such a swift and excessive punishment suggests that is not just business. Silver has a personal beef which is fine, they happen in business but don't try to tell the public it's all business.

Besides, stick a hidden mic on Silver and I bet he says something just as despicable and hurtful with in a few days.

/ thought the "sterling" part was suppose to make silver stronger.. :)

Mypeoplesmh

I'm glad sterling is showing some balls. Silver didn't have the balls to do what was right. He was absolutely wrong!!! You don't make decision based on what the media and this flipped society tells you to, especially when you and the rest of the owners have similar views on race!! Stein was the greatest commissioner of all sports, and he would've never pull this dumb move!! Silver is the man with all the power and he has no balls. He should've fined him and let the market force him to sell his team and then and only then we would've found out how much of a non issue this really is!!! Stand up sterling!!

Jennyy

I don't agree with a word Sterling said. However, I don't like guns either but the Constitution says everyone has the RIGHT to carry loaded guns. Seems to me the Constitution has a clause about "freedom of Speech" that is being totally ignored. Now we have someone stripped of personal property because of something he SAID. Players don't have to play for him, companies don't have to sponsor him. To take his property for exercising his right to freedom of speech is scary. Just think of the implications possible from setting this precedent. Why did the Duck Dynasty guy get a pass?

HRH Prince Michael

#TheHouseofDavid
#TeamSterling

jason

Just think, if Sterling said what he said in a country that guarantees him free speech in its constaution.. This would have never been news.

Mypeoplesmh

Mark Cuban said it best!! My 8th teacher did that same experiment, because all of us black kids were talking about how races the school (jimmy swaggart school) was! It basically should that we all are racist in some form of fashion!! And Cuban got blasted!! Look, if you keep worrying about what other people think about you, you'll never reach your full potential in life. I had a little money took care of my people, I thought everyone love me, I was black Jesus!!! Federal indictments came down, and 97% of those people turn their back and talked about my like a dog!! At the end I had maybe 2 r 3 real friends, mother, and few family!!! Now god blessed me that it wasn't that serious, but he also blessed me to know, at the end of the day, son In this world don't worry about trying to save people based on the color of their skin, deal with all people and remove that mentally from your mind that the white man is out to get you or he owe you something!! Buckle down, get you, and help kids understand what they need to do to make it in this evil world

SikJeweler

It was business because the clippers will lose a lot of black fans and support. The nba is 80% black. Players wouldn't want to play for them and the team will eventually become irrelevant. It was all business. However I'm sure the other nba owners feel the same way. Black people are good to work for them and sleep with but not good enough to be a friend. The same slave master mentality. Sad.

screw on platinums