Justin Bieber

I'm Sorry

For My Racist Joke

6/1/2014 2:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0601-justin-bieber-tmz-01Justin Bieber is apologizing for telling a racist joke when he was 15 ... blaming it partly on his age.

Justin tells TMZ, "As a kid, I didn't understand the power of certain words and how they can hurt. I thought it was ok to repeat hurtful words and jokes, but didn't realize at the time that it wasn't funny and that in fact my actions were continuing the ignorance."

Justin goes on, "Thanks to friends and family I learned from my mistakes and grew up and apologized for those wrongs. Now that these mistakes from the past have become public I need to apologize again to all those I have offended."

Justin continues, "I'm very sorry. I take my friendships with people of all cultures very seriously and I apologize for offending or hurting anyone with my childish and inexcusable mistake. I was a kid then and I am a man now who knows my responsibility to the world and to not make that mistake again."

And Justin says, "Ignorance has no place in our society and I hope the sharing of my faults can prevent others from making the same mistake in the future. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say but telling the truth is always what's right."

Justin ends with this: "Five years ago I made a reckless and immature mistake and I'm grateful to those close to me who helped me learn those lessons as a young man. Once again....I'm sorry."

053114_justin_bieber_launch

Larence

Only apologizing once video surfaces... What a shame.

Truth

YEA, NICE PR STATEMENT FROM SCOOTER BRAUN. YALL KNOW THE PUNK BITCH DINT WRITE SQUAT. #TRUTH!!

Rigby

Everyone tells racist jokes..

Randaleese

He's STILL STUPID, any way ya look at it. Past and present.

alison

A 15 year old boy made a bad joke, move on. If any of you care enough to, look at Kenny Hamilton's twitter. Justin's old bodyguard/close friend that is black completely stood up for Justin saying that he is not a racist. @kennyhamilton

Unfriendlyblackhottie

Im black, as a teen I didn't like a certain race n would say Amber just cause a group of *insert certain race here* at your school doesn't like you because you're black shouldn't mean you have to ostracize yourself or make derogatory comments about every latino (oops!) you see. And then she went on telling me abt how her bff is spanish n her struggles with racism growing up and ever since then I see no color when it comes to people. Now no offense BUT if only white folks sat their kids down like how my mom did maybe, just MAYBE the world would be color blind..... but its not its ****. Lol

Bailey

at least he apologized, AND he was younger. Louis tomlinson said "nig" and has said nothing about it.

Unfriendlyblackhottie

*And my MOM would say

Phoenicks

That's what his rep says. Now, what does Justin say?

ceebee505

Everyone is stupid when they are 15.

Kanga30

I hate the Beibs. But I don't think he's racist. The best part of the apology though? He said he is now a man. That means no more slack for underage drinking, or drugs or peeing in mop buckets or screaming at court reporters or being a pretentious douche.

MCSquared

Here we go again....Seems only white people can be racist. Hear a black person say something derogatory about a white person and NO ONE clamors for mea culpas or demands for apologies...SO HYPOCRITICAL AND A MEDIA-FEED CONTROVERSY....

freaksober

now he should apologize for being a d-Bag

cj65

5 yrs ago really omg im so offended
GET A CLUE

Whocatea123

Ppl are stupid no need to apologize !!!!!! It was a joke !!!!! Thank god I'm not a celebrity I would really be hated bc I don't give a f****