Casey Kasem

Daughters to Pull Life Support

6/11/2014 1:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

Casey Kasem Life Support
Legendary DJ Casey Kasem will live out his final days this week surrounded by his children ... who have made the decision to withhold medication, food and fluids.

The judge in Casey's conservatorship case just reversed a ruling which required doctors to keep him alive with nourishment and meds.

The 82-year-old is currently in a Washington hospice facility.

Casey's kids tell TMZ ... their dad's health directive document states, "If the extension of my life would result in mere biological existence, devoid of cognitive function, with no reasonable hope for normal functioning, then I do not desire any form of life-sustaining procedures, including nutrition and hydration."

Casey's wife Jean was in court and furious over the judge's decision, storming out and screaming that the kids will have Casey's blood on their hands.

0515_casey_kasem_through_the_years_footer

roll3567

Sending case a long distance dedication. Nobody could count backwards like you!

evesin0207

My 2 brothers and I were in that same position over a year ago. My Mother was in a nursing home dying from Parkinsons Disease and it progressed to the point where she could no longer swallow. She had signed the NR form herself and we were helpless. No feeding tubes, no meds. She slowly starved to death. I wish she had been on life support so we could have ended her suffering. My heart bleeds for these kids because they did what they had to do but it certainly isn't easy. Watching your loved one die, whether slowly or quickly, is heartbreaking and the helplessness you feel is overwhelming and never goes away. I have been diagnosed with Parkinsons and I still don't know if I will sign the NR forms when the end is near.

laudi

As a palliative nurse this is very standard for end of life care. Comfort measures only. Depending on the person's cognitive status it is not safe to give anything orally. Giving fluids can actually be a bad thing since your organs begin to shut down and can cause fluid overload (ie: in the lungs). Im sure this man is still getting SC medications for pain/anxiety/SOB and is probably on oxygen. The medical profession would never agree to with hold medication/hydration/food if it wasn't in the best interest of the patient.

BT

This is so sad.

heidi

Why do the kasen children remind me of Peta?

kathy

I'm sure it was something he said while in good health and had it on record some place. It's funny how easy it is to hide it and a spouse can get away with doing what ever they want. I've seen it done until someone came forward with it cuz they knew where it was do***ented. I knew this is a personal right on what one wishes, but I totally agree with the kids. Being in the medical field and work with alot of cases like this..and with hospic, alot ot the time prolonging someones life if only due to family members on what THEY want, and not dealing with what is. The person is at the last stage of their life , and there is no return. They have to look beyond what THEY want and look at the comfort of the one laying in that bed. It's no longer about the living it about the one in the bed. So deal with your own issues. I'm very happy the court see's what is and is looking at Casey. May his remaining time be of comfort

Mary

When my father had stopped eating in the nursing home, the nurses kept giving him his liquid medication, which made him throw up. I told them to STOP and just leave him alone as he was dying. I don't understand why they do stupid stuff like that. Insurance maybe? Anyway, the nurses acted like I was doing something wrong but I just thought about how I would feel in that situation. If I'm dying, make me comfortable and let me go.

Candy

If he had an Advanced Directive, then it needs to be upheld, no matter how hard it might be for his friends and loved ones. It is ultimately his decision and if he signed it with a sound mind, then, his decision should stand. He will be sorely missed by many.

Whocatea123

Hmm they just got him !!! And now so quick to pull the plug we all know now it was the kids not his wife!!! They can't wait to get there hands on that money ! What a great daughter !

Tim

So let me get this straight, his daughter fought this long to take over his healthcare because she felt his life was in danger and he was being neglected and then she wants to take him off of life support?

Seems a bit ironic to me!

But if those really were his wishes then they should be respected.

my 2 cents

Godspeed Casey..

Randaleese

What an icon and huge part of teen years and the radio. Go in peace, Casey Kasem.

Rose

If I am not mistaken....the wife is the one who has the right to make those decisions

hotandcold

It's no one's call except Casey's. He made that decision and, whether anyone likes or dislikes it, his wishes should be respected. The judge obviously agrees that this is correct. It's a damned shame that this has to be done but I understand why and wish him a peaceful passing.

Angela

To all of you criticizing any of Casey's children you are sadly wrong. They are not in his will and they know that so they have nothing to gain. Casey is in critical condition because his wife removed him from a healthcare facility against doctor's orders and took him on a 5 day trip of hell (which caused him to develop a bedsore that got infected, hence his current condition). She kept his children from him for months (before that it was constant visits). She also failed to mention that feeding him caused excruciating pain as his digestive system doesn't work and fluids cause his lungs to fill up. Before you take the word of a woman who chucks hamburger meat at peolle, perhaps you should look at the facts.