Ruby Dee

Legendary Actress and Civil Rights Activist Dies at 91

6/12/2014 9:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Ruby Dee Dead
Ruby Dee -- one of the legendary actresses in Hollywood and on Broadway -- died Wednesday night ... TMZ has learned.

Ruby was at home in New Rochelle, NY ... surrounded by family when she passed away ... according to sources connected to the family. A rep confirmed the death.

Ruby was a pioneer for African-American women in Hollywood ... and is perhaps best known for her starring role in the 1960s film "A Raisin in the Sun" -- and her roles in the Spike Lee movies "Do the Right Thing" and "Jungle Fever." Her most recent big budget Hollywood film was "American Gangster" ... she played Denzel Washington's mother.

061214_ruby_dee_american_gangster_launch
Ruby was a poet and screenwriter. She won a Grammy, an Emmy ... and also received the National Medal of Arts and the Kennedy Center Honors.

She and her late husband Ossie Davis -- with whom she frequently co-starred -- were also hugely active in the Civil Rights movement -- often demonstrating with Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X

Ruby was 91 years old.

061214_ruby_dee_dotherightthing_launch
061214_ruby_dee_raisin_sun_launch

0612_ruby_dee_remembering_footer

andre`

Wonderful and great woman. May she and her Rest in Peace!!!

kristi veit

they forgot to add my favorite role when she played mother Abigail in Stephen Kings The Stand, she was outstanding and that made me fall in love with her. Her husband played the judge in the same movie, this is a great loss to Hollywood and will truly be missed

Claudia Scott

Loved her. But she was called home by her LORD JESUS CHRIST. Cares all passed, home at Last. Ever to see his face.

KicksandGiggles

She was an awesome, stunning, talented, and brave lady. R.I.P Mrs Davis. Job here well done.

alex

A most impressive talent and humanitarian. She leaves a rich legacy .

jimmy d

i ALWAYS leave racist comments,I'm stumped here,a great actress.

Godsfavorite6

R. I. H....

Dave

I never heard of her. I likes black girls tho. I always get me a black 'ho when I visit Haiti.

obiwan2112

She did a really nice job as Mother Abagail in the miniseries based on Stephen King's "The Stand."

Dave

thesby

what a great actress that lived a long happy life! ruby just had the appeal that very few women had! she shared her enterantaining gifts with us for decades! all of us will miss your sparkling ruby talent! their will never be another like her for a long time. R.I.P. Ruby Dee!

hattie

She was one of the classiest actresses around, and also a very good actress. she will be missed so much. RIP

James

A great actress and person will be missed. God has called her home to her husband. God Bless the lady!

MrsK

Wow... What a legend ... Such a legacy she created.

JOHN HANSEN