Casey Kasem

Radio Legend

Dead at 82

6/15/2014 8:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Casey Kasem Dead
Casey Kasem -- the original voice of the American Top 40 countdown -- died Sunday morning ... TMZ has confirmed.

His daughter Kerri said on Facebook this morning ... her dad was surrounded by family and friends. adding, "Even though we know he is in a better place and no longer suffering, we are heartbroken."

Casey was suffering from advanced Parkinson's Disease and dementia. His wife Jean Kasem moved him to a convalescent home in Santa Monica a few months ago.

Kasem founded the "AT 40" radio franchise back in 1970 ... and famously hosted the wildly popular show until 2004. He went on to do several spinoff countdown shows until he retired from radio in 2009.

He was also very famous for voicing cartoon voices like Shaggy from "Scooby-Doo" ... and Robin on "Super Friends." He was inducted into the National Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame in 1985.

Casey's illness was marked by a bitter war between Jean and Casey's three children from his previous marriage. The kids claimed Jean blocked them from seeing Casey for several months.

Earlier in the week Kerri took her dad off of all life support including nutrition.

Casey was 82.
 0606_casey_kasem_remembering_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Duh

No one deserves to die this way. Fighting over the corpse is common...but let the guy die in peace first! abominable. Shame on everyone.

Henry Wood

Casey you will be sadly missed. I enjoyed your "American Top 40" for years. As Rob Zombie said, "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the tars." God bless you and may you rest in peach.

jim

I was surprised to hear some audio clips yesterday in which he went off on folks. I guess I always thought of him as kind of a friendly quiet dude. No so much!

lindsaylou7

What matters is what his living will. Maybe he had previously signed legal paper work saying to with hold all nourishment. We are not there and we don't know the facts. Working in a hospital we constantly push the living will so there is no question on how a person wants to die. So for every one saying what horrible family members for doing this to him, you don't know what his wishes were. Nobody but his family!

lizzie

May he Rest in Peace. Regardless of what his wife did, it took bravery for his children to step up and fight for his final wishes. I'm sure that was not an easy thing to do. Don't judge them just Pray you are never in that situation.

DJrobertjohnson

CASEY KASEM, LINDSAY LOHAN, MARYILYN MONRORE.... WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT IN A FAMOUS NAME.... I AM INTRIQUED IN THE CREATIVITY... VISION... PLANNING... OF PARENTS GETTING THEIR CHILD READY... PREPARED... AND A GREAT START... IF THEY EVER EVENCONSIDER A DREAM OF BEING FAMOUS... JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE WHOLE POSSIBLITY OF A PIPE DREAM FOR THEM IS OUT OF THE WAY AT BIRTH... I MEAN REALLY... JUST THE FACT THAT THERE NAME IS AUTHENTIC, THAT DONT EVEN HAVE TO ADMIT THAT THEY CHANGED IT IS PURE GENIOUS... I MEAN JUST LIKE OF THE MEANS OF A CHRIS ROCK... HANDS DOWN... LEAVE THE NAME ON THE MARQUEE FOREVER... WHY EVEN BOTHER GETTING THE LADDER OUT OF THE STOCK ROOM... MARKETING COMPANIES FOR THIS NAMES LETS JUST FACE YOU GOT IT EASY... LET THE MARKETING ASSISTANT TAKE OVER THE POWER POINT PRESENTATION AND SIT BACK AND TAKE A LOAD OFF...I REALLY JUST DONT KNOW... BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE, STARRING CAST, CGI ITS ALL JUST HYPE WITHOUT A MARQUEE NAME. EVERY ACTOR KNOWS... WHEN STEPPING INTO A SPOTLIGHT... THAT SWITCH CAN ONLY BE TURNED ON OR OFF BY GOD...I WISH I CAN REANCARANATE THAT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING THAT I WOULD DO. IF I COULD ID CHANGE MY NAME AS FREQUENTLY AS MY EMAIL ADDRESS...NEED TO BECAUSE I REALLY DONT LIKE ON EMAIL ANYWAY. I DONT KNOW... IT GIVES ALL KINDS OF CREATIVITY TO THE COCEPT OF MAKING A LABEL. I REALLY DONT LIKE THE NAME THAT YOUR CALLING ME... BUT I DO HAVE ONE THAT I MAID UP BY MYSELF... ITS CALLED DJrobertjohnson. WHY DONT YOU TRY THIS ONE. I REALLY DONT WANT TO CHANGE IT TO SEE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR DIFFERNT ONE RIGHT AT THIS MOMMENT. BUT ITS DJrobertjohnson I SPELL MY NAME LOWER CASE BECAUSE IT SHOWS RESPECT, HONER, AND DEVOTION TO THE CREATER OF THE 12 BAR BLUES WHICH AS DEVELPED IN A LOT OF DIFFERNT VARIATIONS AS YOU ALL KNOW... DONT GET IT WRONG...I AM NOT JUST SHOW RESPECT TO MR. ROBERT JOHNSON. I AM REALLY APOLOGIZING. JUST BECAUSE... I HAVE A SOUND CALLED RETRO-INDUSTRIAL THAT MESSES THE ALGORITHM OF THE 12 BAR BLUES TOTALLY UP. I AM APOLOGIZING BECAUSE IT IS NO ACCIDENT I AM DOING ON PURPOSE AND I JUST FEEL BAD. AND NOT HIM. BUT FOR THE LISTENERS WHO ARE GOING TO BE IN A DISCOMBOBULATED STATE OF MUSICAL EXPERIENCES. THE RECORDING INDUSTRY IS BOWING DOWN, BUT NOT RIGHT NOW, BUT THEY ARE PUTTING UP A GOOD FRONT. THEY THINK THAT I AM TAKING OVER, THAT ITS NOT FAIR, AND IT ISNT. SO I AM GOING TO STAND BACK AND BE NICE ABOUT. IM JUST GOING TO DJ, FACEBOOK, AND IF AN ARTIST WOULD LIKE AN RETRO INDUSTRIAL VERSION SO BE IT, I LIKE TO KICK WITH THEM FROM TIME TO TIME ANYWAY. I NEED TO FLY TO NEW YORK CITY FOR A RECORD DEAL BUT I AM AFRAID TO FLY AND I DONT THINK I HAVE ENOUGH GAS TO MAKE IT THERE. BUT LIKE I SAID... JUST LIKE LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.... MARQUEE, MARQUEE, MARQUEE... DONT GET IT TWISTED... DJrobertjohnson DJrobertjohnson DJrobertjohnson

hollowx

This is the 20th story on TMZ about this. Is this going to be a thing like Tim's Rejects or something.

GetOverYourself

Looks like he didn't get fed, Jean.

AsGoodAsTheyCum

I often wondered, why he kept his kids out of his will???

blythe

Rest in peace:-(

carlos

I can't believe he's gone I remember as a kid one of the things we would do listen to the top 40 together. on Saturday nights here there's a station that plays full rebroadcasts of the AT 40's. even though a lot of the songs I don't remember I do remember that voice it calms me even to this day.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10