TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Katie Cleary's Husband

Suicide Triggered By

Hormone Therapy Gone Awry

6/25/2014 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0624_katie-cleary-andrew-stern-tmz
Andrew Stern
-- the husband of "Deal or No Deal" showcase model Katie Cleary who committed suicide Sunday -- went on a downward spiral after undergoing hormone replacement therapy for his libido ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story ... Stern shot himself in the head at a San Fernando Valley firing range.  Sources say he was deeply depressed, largely over the meltdown of his marriage. 

Close friends of Andrew tell us ... 2 years ago he went to a Beverly Hills health and wellness center because he was feeling lethargic and had a waning libido.  We're told the center gave him a kit, which included human growth hormones and testosterone.  Both were injectables. 

The friends say he started experiencing drastic mood swings and became extremely irritable.  Andrew kept the regimen up for a year but couldn't take it anymore and stopped cold turkey. 

We're told abruptly stopping such therapy is extremely dangerous and in Andrew's case he spiraled into a deep depression, which got much worse because his business failed and everything then took a toll on his marriage.

The friends tells us ... Andrew -- who filed for divorce in April -- went nuclear after seeing pics of his wife in Cannes, nuzzling up to Leo DiCaprio.  Katie's rep says the pics didn't have an impact on Andrew, but his friends scoff and say it had a HUGE affect.

One friend tells us he spoke with Andrew the day before he killed himself -- Andrew said he was having "a tough day" but assured him he'd be OK.

0625_Katie_Cleary_Andrew_Stern_photosfooter

137 COMMENTS

No Avatar
1.

NOT ELMO    

I HEAR KATIE CLEARY IS NOW SINGLE....

91 days ago
2.

mdell27    

Poor guy. Should have listened to when the doctor said not to abruptly stop.

91 days ago
3.

Ali    

This prostitute kind of reminds me that other prostitute, the Tiger Woods one...Rachel Uckitel. So gross and slaggish.

91 days ago
4.

BLUE UGLY 💩    

That's unfortunate

91 days ago
5.

RATTLESNAKE     

well if this guy is related to Howard Stern i can understand he was messed up from the start. howard is a moron

91 days ago
6.

blackmailthem    

Nothing to say, I love all the people who tried to blame the female, who was separated, 6 months before, thx tmz, and on that note, sorry for your problem, that didn't mean blame who ever you can, sorry to the emotional friend posting blogs on tmz, sounds suspect but hey. Like I said, like tmz a lot but if my ttrue friend died, I would not be posting blogs, his friend needs help. But truly I am sorry, I don't wish bad on anyone, we all have a right to be happy.

91 days ago
7.

Chris L. Harris    

Seeing a spouse, separated or not, posing with other men would drive most men over the edge as it can be seen as a direct assault on their manhood. I think this is a much more common problem than people think about b/c true manhood is so downplayed in this era of political correctness.

91 days ago
8.

LDB    

That's messed up. Should've listened to doctors

91 days ago
9.

awards    

BS! She wasn't taking care of his needs, eh?

91 days ago
10.

dumdumdum    

sounds like a lawsuit

91 days ago
11.

Mulholland Drive    

Never heard of her. Who is she?

91 days ago
12.

8======D    

He's in a better place now for sure.

91 days ago
13.

Julie    

I think she enjoys the attention. I suspect she is TMZ's source.

91 days ago
14.

MTG    

RIP young man. Very said! I'm sure his family and friends are devastated

91 days ago
15.

thebigalphamale    

complete bull**** excuses (it was the TRT GTFO).. TRT or no TRT whatever his underlying medical issues is enough alone to make a man feel less of a man and cause depression, then you add in the fact that his marriage was over, his wife was as hot as he was ever going to get, and she was out in the public eye hooking up and or at the very least hanging with rich popular celebs and then his business was going to ****. Just one of those could cause an already depressed man to go to extremes and be edgy and have mood swings etc... but add them all up and its very plausible to go to the extreme of suicide.. but DO NOT BLAME TRT I know hundreds of guys on it and 95% of them say it makes them feel better (young again) than they have ever felt in their life and the other 5% complained of WANTING SEX TOO MUCH and that their wife wasnt happy about that... I feel bad for him - must be a major ego blow do have all those issues happen in the last year or 2 and come to a head like they did, enough for him to kill himself.

91 days ago
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web