« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

MLB Star Geovany Soto

I'm EMBARRASSED Over Weed Arrest

7/11/2014 1:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0711_soto_mugshot
Texas Rangers catcher Geovany Soto is apologizing to teammates, fans and his bosses ... saying he's "embarrassed" after being arrested for weed possession last night.

The 31-year-old former NL Rookie of the Year was pulled over for speeding in Grapevine, TX around 10PM Wednesday night ... and during the stop, cops say they found a small amount of pot.

Soto was ultimately arrested for marijuana possession -- and was hauled to a nearby station where he was booked and posed for a mug shot.  He was released on $500 bail.

Moments ago, Soto issued a statement saying, "I was stopped by Grapevine Police on Wednesday night. I am embarrassed and would like to apologize to my family, the Rangers organization, and our fans that I was taken in on this charge."

He added, "Because this is an ongoing case, I cannot discuss this matter any further at this time.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bagheera

No need to be embarrassed. Everyone knows that people in MLB abuse amphetamines, steroids, or meth.

barcham

The entire USA should be embarrassed that people are still being arrested for this. Total farce.

Zra

He needs to go play for the rockies or the mariners.

Areader

A small amount of pot......only in Texas!

Action Jackson

The only dangerous thing about pot is getting caught with it!

Kabala

he should be embarrassed about that manscaping...

putyouonblast

Who? Who is this guy? Never heard of him...

You Don't Know

"I'm embarrassed that I was taken in on this charge." You're sorry you were caught, but not sorry that you chose to smoke weed? That is no apology. I live in Texas & I am sorry my tax dollars went to processing this case. I WISH this much effort would go into controlling our borders!!

Jim

You're only apologizing, because you got caught. Just the beginning of yet another sports figure spiraling out of control until they kill someone or die. Fire him.

unbiasedopinion

Since when do they "find weed" during a speeding violation stop? Case will be thrown out for illegal search and seizure. Speeding is not grounds for the search of a vehicle. No mention of consent, no mention of alcohol, no mention of reckless driving just speeding. Cop gets admin leave, player walks away with speeding fine case closed.

UhOhSpaghettiOs

Why apologize. It was weed. Not like it was Meth or Heroin. Unless he was impaired, it seems no worse than having a unopened bottle of vodka in the car. As soon as they figure out how to tax it, you will be able to buy it at your local 7-eleven

RD

He's embarrassed only because he got caught. THAT'S IT!!!!

candie78

Great player only in Texas😞😞!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3