Legendary Actor

James Garner

Dead at 86

7/19/2014 11:23 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0719-james-garner-getty-01Legendary actor James Garner -- star of "The Rockford Files" and "The Notebook" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us an ambulance was dispatched to the actor's home in Los Angeles around 8PM Saturday evening ... and he was found dead when they arrived on scene.

0719-james-garner-SUB-getty-02
James died of natural causes.

Garner was one of the first actors to amass success in both television and film ... and he starred in a long list of classic films -- as well as a co-starring role in the '94 big screen version of "Maverick" starring Mel Gibson. Garner was the original Bret Maverick from 1957-1960 ... as well as the same character in a short lived '80s remake.

071914_maverick_sub_launch
Garner, who was 86 years old, also played the older version of Ryan Gosling's character in "The Notebook."

0721_James_Garner_footer

Al Hernandez

I have been watching The Rockford Files for the last month and a half on Netflix and I feel like i got to really know him as a friend. A great actor and decorated combat veteran from the Korean War. American hero

writenow

Nooooooo" .. was the Best

Fit4Life

R.i.p.

mrmiller508

R.i.P maverick

Debbie

James Garner was something special. We won't see the likes of him again. He will be missed.

RetailQueen

He really narrated beautifully and made the love story even sweeter with his role as older Noah. I cry every time I see the scene where she remembers for 5 minutes then forgets all over. So heartbreaking. You are an angel Mr. Garner! Rest peacefully my friend.

FerdD

I'll be seeing you... Rest in peace.

jjgg5

He made acting look effortless. That's very difficult to do.

EggsOverEasy

This was a classy guy, a real sweetheart.. RIP Mr. Garner thanks for all of the good times.

devlin2273

Had to meet and know him as a child, pleasure to work with him as an adult. Wonderful human being.

aloysius

RIP Messer. Garner

j

Murphy's Romance one of my favorite movies of all time... What a wonderful life you led. Enjoy the big card game in the sky. We will miss and you. Thanks for the decades of quality entertainment. They just don't have em like you any more. Good night James RIP.

keeblerelf

I grew up watching The Rockford Files with my dad. He was a talented actor. I pray for peace for his family and friends.

DaveL

The original Bret Maverick. Thanks for all the years of great entertainment, Mr. Garner. You always seemed to be a genuine class act. You will be missed.

Sympathies to his family and friends.

Lulu