« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tony Dungy

I'M NOT A HOMOPHOBE

7/22/2014 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tony Dungy HomophobicTony Dungy insists his comments about why he wouldn't draft Michael Sam are not homophobic ... though he's doubling down on his claim that Sam's sexual orientation is a "distraction."

The former NFL head coach has just issued a statement in an effort explain his comments -- where he said he wouldn't draft Sam because he wouldn't want to "deal with" the gay factor.

Dungy says, "I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam and I answered that I would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team."

He adds, "I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does."

"I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not."

"I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not."

But then the double-talk begins ... "I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization. I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction."

Don't forget, he started off the statement saying drafting Sam would be a "distraction to the team."

Tony Dungy -- he's no Branch Rickey. For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Supr Dav

Having a gay player IS a distraction, not to mention stinking up the locker room with the fresh aroma of anal seepage.

Swerve

Whoever wrote this article is a moron...Sam would clearly be a distraction, and Dungy is simply saying he would not want that distraction. Might be fine for other teams, just not his. It's his opinion & he's entitled to it so lay off TMZ idiots.

David

But I guess having numerous criminals on your team isn't a distraction. Good thing that Dodgers didn't mind the distraction and signed Jackie Robinson. He's a hypocrite.

Truth

It's no controversy becasue the far majority of people agree with Dungy. Try your gay indoctrination a little harder now, TMZ.

stu

Know wonder his son killed himself. Y don't u homphobes do the same.
U all need to watch the game & stop having fantasy's bout what goes on in the locker rm.

karen harris

Who cares what Dungy, the religious NUTJOB thinks

4education

Lucky for him, during his coaching career, no one ever said they wouldn't hire him because they didn't want to "deal with the black factor".

Chitwn96

Yes u r

boo boo

Dude, you supported Michael Vick and Tom Tebow, even though they both came with baggage and distractions. Sam was a star starter on his college team and was not officially "out" as a gay man. Just admit that you don't support homosexuality, regardless of talent! Admit it!

boo boo

*Tim Tebow

STAYCLASSYSANDIEGO

Dungy probably on the down low himself!

FREEDOM

" EXPRESS YOURSELF. "

CoconutScrimp

Don't say anything negative about gays. It's not allowed by the Doctrine Police.

FREEDOM

HE WAS BRAVE...

truth1253

You liberals are pathetic. All he is saying is the LIBERAL MEDIA would have been the problem plus he was a 7th round draft pick nobody cares about a 7th round draft pick but since he's gay the media has blown this out of proportion as usual. If he were heterosexual we would've never even heard about this guy....therefore coach is right the media is the downfall.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments