« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Stephen A. Smith

SUSPENDED by ESPN

For Domestic Violence Remarks

7/29/2014 1:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0729-stephena-smith-tmz-02
ESPN is yanking Stephen A. Smith off the air -- suspending him for the inflammatory comments he made about women and domestic violence last week.

The network says Smith will not appear on his show "First Take" or on ESPN Radio until next Wednesday. During a discussion about Ray Rice's suspension, Stephen A. said he would tell women to make sure they're not doing anything "to provoke wrong actions" ... in addition to telling men what NOT to do.

This morning on "First Take" Smith apologized -- and ESPN released a statement, saying ... “We will continue to have constructive dialogue on this important topic. Stephen’s comments last Friday do not reflect our company’s point of view."

The network continued ... "As his apology demonstrates, he recognizes his mistakes and has a deeper appreciation of our company values.”

Smith's comments also infuriated fellow ESPN anchor Michelle Beadle. She's yet to react to his suspension.

072914_smith_apology_launch_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bison

He desrves it

MARK

He has made similar comments before during the Chad Ochocinco fiasco. He commented then that we all need to look at "that woman"and her fighting on reality shows....so it was back then an implication. He got away with it then and expanded on it this time but rightfully so he's paid the price. F the fake apology I would have respected him more if he stood by his repetitive, ignorant stance on the issue....when he comes back he'll be walking on "pins and needles"

Numapass

It's time to punish these companies that treat their employees and their audience like children all in the name of political correctness

OK

This guy is a moron.

politicallyincorrect

People that are offended by his common sense comment are the reason for that meme-Sam Watersons (I think) pic with the words "you're really some knid of stupid, aren't you?-sure fits all those outraged Bozos!!

politicallyincorrect

People that are "Outraged' by that common sense remark are the reason for that Sam Waterson meme that says-you are really a special kind of stupid, aren't you?-or words to that effect. The inmates are trying to conrtol the asylum.

simonej22

im a woman and he shouldn't have been suspended. A man should never hit a woman, but a woman shouldn't be violent towards a man if she is not prepared for him to snap. Most women will NOT touch or run up on another woman, but will run up on a man because she knows he is not SUPPOSE to react and if he does he will be crucified. I have a daughter and I teach her to never tolerate violence BUT I also teach her to not take advantage of others impulse control. Treat everyone with respect or prprepare for the consequences weather they are justified or not.

wesley

He should be fired......a white guy would have been fired. Asap....

OBAMA2016

If a women runs and attacks me, I will defend myself. That's life. If you don't like it then hey oh well. Who are you to judge. Stay in your lane and I will stay in mine, until I have to get over.

sunshinebeauty86

For the "little girls" who think it's okay to hit women. I'm sorry that your mother didn't care about you when you were growing up. Or maybe she did care, but it was normal for you to see her getting beat everyday so you've became desensitized to it and as the result you emulated what you saw. Or maybe you could never win a fight against a man so you decided to take your frustrations out on women. Whatever the case maybe the Truth of the matter is you need to seek help before someone's older brother or friend knocks you the fu*k out!

bart

ESPN get some balls and fire the man.

boo boo

Overreaction. Normally I'm the 1st to stand strong for domestic violence victims, but espn has gone overboard on this one.

Kel

People are so dramatic.... I don't take offense to anything he said and I have been in a abusive relationship. He was politely making a point that relates to the story. If anybody even pays attention to what happened Rice's girlfriend most likely put her hands on him n he was stupid and did something back. Obviously he didn't beat her and I don't agree with either one but EVERYBODY needs to keep their hands to their selves.

betseymcqueen

Some little boys will never be men. If you hit a woman or have ever hit a woman, you'll always be a child. Period.

surreal82

He said nothing wrong. Many men (and women) predisposed to violence do react when provoked. Women need to know the truth, and I would hope they would choose to leave rather than walk on egg shells. #Standing O for you Stephen A. for keeping it real!