« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Stephen A. Smith

SUSPENDED by ESPN

For Domestic Violence Remarks

7/29/2014 1:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0729-stephena-smith-tmz-02
ESPN is yanking Stephen A. Smith off the air -- suspending him for the inflammatory comments he made about women and domestic violence last week.

The network says Smith will not appear on his show "First Take" or on ESPN Radio until next Wednesday. During a discussion about Ray Rice's suspension, Stephen A. said he would tell women to make sure they're not doing anything "to provoke wrong actions" ... in addition to telling men what NOT to do.

This morning on "First Take" Smith apologized -- and ESPN released a statement, saying ... “We will continue to have constructive dialogue on this important topic. Stephen’s comments last Friday do not reflect our company’s point of view."

The network continued ... "As his apology demonstrates, he recognizes his mistakes and has a deeper appreciation of our company values.”

Smith's comments also infuriated fellow ESPN anchor Michelle Beadle. She's yet to react to his suspension.

072914_smith_apology_launch_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Grim reaper

He needs to be fired. Violence on women is not right at all no matter what.

PussBeater

I just listened to his comments that led to suspension and as a corporate executive, he said nothing that was suspendable - the fact of the matter is - Us men have raised and produced a 'majority' of hoes and whores and we have to 'realize' this REALITY and effectively deal with

Nunyah

I don't think he said anything wrong. We (women ) should hold ourselves to the same standard as we hold men. I have experienced unprovoked domestic violence in my past. However, there are some women who think it's ok to hit or strike or kick or throw things at a man first with the arrogance of assuming that man won't nor should retaliate. Those women who do that should be held accountable as well.

Peter Hubbell

I was married to a woman who had come from an abusive relationship. Unfortunately for some of these women they can only equate love with violence. I am unashamed to say that this woman beat the hell out of me on more than one occasion and I was the one always hauled off to jail. she hit me so hard with an ashtray as I came through the door, I woke up in a pool of my own blood and a nice pair of handcuffs. I abhor violence against women. A man who hits a woman is no man at all. But sometimes they are the aggressor, sometimes they are the abusive ones. Just thought it needed to be said.

marco

he is right. You have women like who think they can attack a man with no repercussion. A perfect example is Solange who somehow was not charged in any way...equal rights

robertwb3

I think Mkey needs to be educated!!

Areader

That was a heart felt apology!

ZIGGY GENETALIA

if you are black then you must defend the black man like whoopti johnson or raquel. defend mike tyson ray rice kobe oj i have even seen idiots wearing rae carruth jerseys chris brown oh its ok ike turner that was funny. call their women bitches and hoes. impregnate them then abandon them and refuse to pay child support. u people are effed up!!

Black Adam

He's right. I never hit a female before, but one better not ever spit on me. I would muscle mimic every move on Street fighter and end with a Knee Press Nightmare, then finish with an Ultra Tiger Uppercut. " You Win!"

CindyCindyCindy

His outrageous "apology" which was a spin of epic proportions that just twisted words until it confused the listener so that it sounded as though it were a real apology, though it wasn't. Glad they canned him.

marco

If a smaller man hits me and I hit him back its self defense but if a woman bigger than me hits me and I hit her back i'm in the wrong. If thats the case, we should go back to the stone age when women were inferior to a man

Unbroken Chain

Im shocked at people thinking what he said was ok. Especially the women. If a man says he beat up a girl because she did something to him, he wasn't raised right. Men are TI respect women and show restraint no matter what. That's how I was raised

Thames

F$

jason

Typical PC reaction. Telling a woman not to provoke her man is not PC but it is sage advice especially is the dude is capable of serious violence. The biggest problem with the PC liberals is they are not able to accept reality. They think if you tell a violent dude to not react to a provocation then he should listen, understand and not be violent anymore. That is not living in reality. If someone approaches me with violent intentions should I provoke them further because they should know better then to harm some one. That would be insane. You play nice treat the person with as much respect as you can fake and get the hell out with your teeth in tact. You do not see how far you can push someone. Its common sense that the PC crowd lacks.

Kaaka

ESPN has gone and lost its mind , WHY have a OPINION SHOW tapping HOT buttons topics , Then when the HOST voice their set OPINIONS they get PUNISH for it . Make no sense.
Either SQUASH the SHOW or just STICK to stuff happening ON FIELD.Last i check he DID NOT make any type of SLUR.