Robin Williams

Commits Suicide

8/11/2014 3:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0811-robin-williams-01
Update_Graphic_Bar
Oakland TV station KTVU reported Williams hung himself.
update_grey_gray_bar
Robin Williams
has committed suicide.

The Oscar-winning actor/comedian killed himself in Tiburon, in Northern California.   His people tell us he's been recently battling severe depression.

According to the Marin County Sheriff's Office ... authorities found Williams' body inside his home.  They say he was found unresponsive.

He was unconscious and not breathing and the coroner suspects suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams was last seen alive at his house at 10 PM Sunday night.

Robin went back to rehab last month to focus on his sobriety.  We're told alcohol was an issue.

Williams struggled with cocaine and alcohol abuse in the early '80s but was sober for 20 years ... with the exception of a stint in rehab in 2006.

0811-robin-zoo-instagram-01
One of Robin's last public appearances was at the San Francisco Zoo in June ... when the zoo named one of their howler monkeys "Robin" in his honor.

Robin's wife, Susan Schneider, says, "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.  I am utterly heartbroken."

081114_robin_good_will_hunting_launch

Robin's last tweet was on July 31 ... wishing his daughter Zelda Rae a happy 25th birthday. He posted a #tbt instagram pic of himself holding her as a child.  Zelda did not respond.

Late Monday evening Zelda tweeted a quote from French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery ... "You alone will have the stars as no one else has them…In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing."

She added … "I love you. I miss you. I'll try to keep looking up. Z"

Williams was 63.

081114_robin_dead_poets_launch

081214_mork_and_mindy_launch
0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_3

amyd

Xavier_NYC

Wow RIP to a legend..

pauline

RIP..I am sitting here watching Mrs. Doubtfire.

Cannon57

I'm freaked out at this very moment. I'm currently going through depression myself and was getting disturbing suicidal thoughts today. On my life I kid you not for some reason I thought of him earlier today as I read an article about him recently on tmz about being back in rehab. Then I thought let me see what's on tmz and I see this... FREAKED OUT RIGHT ABOUT NOW :(

Rosieposey

My heart is broken now. Even though I never met him, he touched my life in many ways, growing up watching his movies probably changed me in many ways.

Jean Deaux

damnshame!

BigSamStewart

Really funny comedian and unpredictability talented actor. Unfortunately he was never the poster child for mental stability. RIP

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

"Honorary Yidden" Such a great lost. Was looking forward to the sequel of Mrs. Doubtfire ,so sad. #tragic

Diane

WOW...Im so sorry! I can not believe it.....

Dee

Wow...this hurts. Such a talented individual...with too many demons. RIP Mr Williams

Dallasgal

So very sad to hear this! Heard he was going back to rehab a few weeks ago. He was one of those people who could act and be funny in movies. RIP, Mr. Williams.

CHIO

So saaaad!!!!! RIP :´(

Lulis

:( sad!

Javier

Good bye Robin... Nero Nero...

me