Robin Williams

Commits Suicide

8/11/2014 3:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0811-robin-williams-01
Update_Graphic_Bar
Oakland TV station KTVU reported Williams hung himself.
update_grey_gray_bar
Robin Williams
has committed suicide.

The Oscar-winning actor/comedian killed himself in Tiburon, in Northern California.   His people tell us he's been recently battling severe depression.

According to the Marin County Sheriff's Office ... authorities found Williams' body inside his home.  They say he was found unresponsive.

He was unconscious and not breathing and the coroner suspects suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams was last seen alive at his house at 10 PM Sunday night.

Robin went back to rehab last month to focus on his sobriety.  We're told alcohol was an issue.

Williams struggled with cocaine and alcohol abuse in the early '80s but was sober for 20 years ... with the exception of a stint in rehab in 2006.

0811-robin-zoo-instagram-01
One of Robin's last public appearances was at the San Francisco Zoo in June ... when the zoo named one of their howler monkeys "Robin" in his honor.

Robin's wife, Susan Schneider, says, "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.  I am utterly heartbroken."

081114_robin_good_will_hunting_launch

Robin's last tweet was on July 31 ... wishing his daughter Zelda Rae a happy 25th birthday. He posted a #tbt instagram pic of himself holding her as a child.  Zelda did not respond.

Late Monday evening Zelda tweeted a quote from French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery ... "You alone will have the stars as no one else has them…In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing."

She added … "I love you. I miss you. I'll try to keep looking up. Z"

Williams was 63.

081114_robin_dead_poets_launch

081214_mork_and_mindy_launch
0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_3

Hervey....Hervey of Arabia...He was a single guy...

Id still do him.

namers

There are no words to describe the utter sadness this news brings.

He was an ICON and one of the top 5 best standup comics (who's left?) and will be missed.

Rest in Peace, sad clown.

DiM

RIP funny soul.
TMZ forgot to add that besides alcoholism, he also had a battle with a mood disorder.

Mastery

This one hurts. The tears of a clown. I hope he finds his peace. Rest in Peace Icon.

captainsparks

So saddened by this death. He brought so much joy and such happiness to his fans. RIP to such a wonderful man. Praying for his wife and children.

UFCGBPacker

Sucks that he now gets to burn in hell

charles

R.I.P. Robin

Ally

Coward

MARK

Nothing is as it seems, underneath all the laughter and jokes was pain and sorrow.RIP big guy.....Money cannot buy happiness.....love is everything

Hugh Janus

What? Very sad!

Josh

Goodbye Mork, you were very much admired.

RetailQueen

AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! No way!! He was one of my favorites as a kid I loved him and I could watch him over and over again. He was such a dedicated actor and I'm sorry he had to Suffer so long. Robin I'm sorry you had to go this way. No matter the reason, there is always another way out of dark times. I'm going out and buying some of your movies so I watch you at your finest and cry happy tears. Goodbye friend.

I-See-Dumb-People

Such a pity that Robin couldn't find and share in some of the happiness he had given to so many through his work. Rest in peace.

Rasela

Awww, so so sad. Always loved his movies.

Sic