Don Pardo

Legendary 'SNL' Announcer Dies at 96

8/18/2014 9:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0818-don-pardon-getty-03

Don Pardo -- the man who famously announced "It's Saturday Night Live!" starting from the very first episode of "SNL" in 1975 -- passed away Monday night at the age of 96 ... NBC officials confirm.

Pardo reportedly died in his sleep in Tucson, AZ.

The man with the booming voice was hand-picked for the "SNL" job by creator Lorne Michaels -- and was featured on 38 of the 39 seasons (he missed season 7). He also missed 2 eps in 2013 after suffering a broken hip.

But like the champ he was ... Pardo got back to work after healing up and continued to serve as "SNL" announcer when the show resumed in September 2013. He worked all the way up until the "SNL" season finale back in May.

Pardo had been working with NBC since 1944 ... and provided voice work on everything from baseball games to newscasts and even gameshows -- spending 7 years on "The Price is Right" starting in 1956.

After that gig, Pardo spent 11 seasons on "Jeopardy" ... back when Art Fleming hosted the show.

Long story short ... the guy was a pioneer in almost every facet of television.

Former "SNL" writer John Mulaney tweeted moments ago ... saying, "Goodbye Don Pardo. You worked from World War II until this May. You were cool as hell. I'm very lucky I got to talk to you those few times."

Dane Cook also posted a message about Pardo -- saying, "I always wanted to host SNL and it was a lifelong mission. When I got it and got to NYC I had 1 must. Get a photo with the great Don Pardo. His voice set the tone of the show and hearing him usher in each host with his booming hijinx-y role call was in my dreams but saying my name finally. My dream came true. Thank you sir for spending time chatting and introducing me to America on that special Saturday night."

081914_snl_open_launch

0819_remembering_Don_Pardo_footer

twoaway

This is Don Pardo....signing off.

don

Who cares right? anyway did that make you mad? comments like that wish you could make them stop? not just mean racist etc anything you want? my trick can help you do so! My trick can work on any website no site to big no site to small,nothing will stop it once it begins you don't like a website or a person email gone try it.

don

Just ask me! It can work for you!

lotus

His voice was legendary and can't be matched. Hopefully they pay respect to him in a great fashion before declaring a new generation of voice to the show.

maxkrn

Details surrounding his death are unclear? 99.9% sure it's from old age he is 96 after all

Kobe_No_Means_No

Never heard of him. Truth.

effthemedia

It's Saturday night dead!

Kevin

1944? Respect.

lemissa

Much respect to a great pioneer. RIP "iiiiiit's Saturday Night Liiiive..." Will live on forever <3

Brian Hughes

tucker

Legendary is right. He was one of a kind. Rest in peace.

annaK83

RIP

Clytemnestra

An absolutely amazing career!

BLUE UGLY 💩

RIP

Bridget

Man, he must have really loved what he did. Long life, doing what you love. Can't ask for more. Rest in Peace Mr. Pardo. I'll miss hearing your voice.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments