« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

USC's Josh Shaw

HERO STORY IS A LIE

Suspended From Team

8/27/2014 3:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0827-josh-shaw-getty-01Update_Graphic_Bar
3:59 PM PT -- There are rumblings that Josh Shaw concocted the story to distract attention from a domestic violence incident involving his girlfriend.

But TMZ Sports spoke with Shaw's attorney Donald Etra and he is adamant, "There is absolutely NO domestic violence."

He adds, "The real story has nothing to do with domestic violence."

Shaw has issued a statement through his lawyer ... saying, "I injured myself in a fall. I made up a story about this fall that was untrue. I was wrong to not tell the truth. I apologize to USC for this action on my part."

Shaw has not revealed the true reason behind the fall.
update-grey-gray-bar
USC football player Josh Shaw admitted to USC officials that his story about heroically rescuing his nephew is a lie

In a statement, USC says ... "Shaw came to USC athletic department officials this afternoon (Wednesday, Aug. 27) and admitted that he had lied about how he suffered his ankle injuries over the weekend."

"He said that the story he told of rescuing his nephew in a pool in Palmdale, Calif., was a complete fabrication. He apologized for misleading his coaches, teammates, athletic department officials and the public."

USC head football coach Steve Sarkisian also issued a statement ... saying, "We are extremely disappointed in Josh. He let us all down. As I have said, nothing in his background led us to doubt him when he told us of his injuries, nor did anything after our initial vetting of his story."

Sarkisian continued, "I appreciate that Josh has now admitted that he lied and has apologized. Although this type of behavior is out of character for Josh, it is unacceptable. Honesty and integrity must be at the center of our program. I believe Josh will learn from this. I hope that he will not be defined by this incident, and that the Trojan Family will accept his apology and support him."

Sarkisian said that Shaw has been suspended indefinitely from all team activities.

USC says it regrets the posting of the initial story.

Story developing ... For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

notalawyer

Why tell the truth when you have always lied to get ahead...

Numapass

Gotta " love" these lawyers - ok my client has admitted he concocted a story but it did not, repeat not, involve domestic violence. Get that idea out of your mind people. Are you even thinking that ? Don't. Cease and desist. This statement might be revised tomorrow, of course.

Jon Kua'ana

Well so much for our hero. Isn't it common today for "heroes" to be overstated and exaggerated? In this case the heroic actions just plain lies. So the question is was Shaw involved with an attempted burglary? Maybe just a peeping Tom? Sad, sad, sad.

HumanNature

ANOTHER "DUMMY"!!!!!

Just Jay

What colour is he?

paul a.

Awww, it isnt his fault. It's the fault of the evil white people in his life.

Seraphina

Who does stuff like that ???? You are an idiot !

Nope

Why is everything about race.

nof

Alleged domestic violence is a huge red-flag -

-suggests deep-deep problems and issues.

...Not just with the Dude but his GFF.

(mis-directing efforts at discovery)

We athletes are usually broken/fragile people.

Give him a chance -

To undergo counseling with his GFF.

Make this right.

Pray and know USC will do the correct thing -

It's shaming-enough at this point.

It's an opportunity for all involved.

nof

... made tons-of-mistakes as a collegiate athlete.

That I was always forgiven for.

-Hope this dude receives the same type of grace/compassion.

"We're Only Dumb Once."

tmzDopeDealer

Who cares?

justmyopinion

Stupid!!!

Bison

He lied about hurting himself, he's absolutely guilty. Fat white guy says he didn't rape his daughter, I believe him.

Dee

You're a dumb azz. Pathetic.

Nonsense

Just have to wonder how many times he was up to no good before this bone head move. I'm guessing a lot.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments