Meredith Viera: I Get Depressed

4/1/2007 4:08 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Perhaps it's all the time she logged with Star and the rest of "The View" gals that pushed her over the edge, as "Today" co-host Meredith Viera admitted to Ladies Home Journal that she suffers from anxiety and bouts of depression.

"I think you can develop depression, to be honest with you. I think sometimes maybe the magnitude of life just sort of seeps into my brain," she said, adding that she often has a hard time driving over bridges -- afraid that she might plunge her car into the water. "I've got three great kids and a husband and we're all fine. We're so lucky. But then other times there's a weight that comes on you. Pressure, self-inflicted pressure."

When she's feeling sensitive, opening her fan mail is off-limits for Viera. "I could see 10 great letters and then the next one that comes up that says 'I can't stand you' is the only one I'll remember. It's horrible. I don't really have a thick skin. I think it's gotten thinner, actually."

Elisabeth and Rosie BFFs

Though blonde "View"-ette Elisabeth Hasselbeck is known for veering toward the more conservative side, she swears she and her more liberal co-host Rosie O'Donnell are the best of friends.

"Everyone's always thinking Ro and I don't get along, we're 'enemies,' " Hasselbeck told People magazine. "Politically, we're rivals. That is clear. However, we are personally friends. We are on e-mail all day long with each other."

She also put rumors to rest that O'Donnell's on-air remarks have caused the younger star to cry backstage. "Under these blonde highlights I consider myself a pretty tough person. So don't cry for me, Argentina." Uh, we won't.

Spears Tops Most Foolish List

Britney Spears and Paris Hilton topped this year's list of "Most Foolish Americans," along with Michael Jackson, George W. Bush, O.J. Simpson and Mel Gibson. The annual poll is conducted by Jeff Barge and the Opinion Research Group in honor of April Fool's Day. Barge told the New York Daily News that Spears won top honors for "Going commando, mutilating her own head, bobbling her baby in public -- they've all been done before by various contenders but never before in combination."

Party Favors...Timberlake is Kid's Choice...No Baby for Bundchen...Aiello Records Guiliani Song

Justin Timberlake brought sexy back to the teen crowd; he was chosen "Favorite Male" at Nickelodeon's Kid's Choice Awards. ... Tom Brady paramour Gisele Bundchen was spotted Thursday night at a nightclub in Miami, wearing a skintight black spandex outfit that clearly revealed, say sources, "no baby bump in sight."...Actor Danny Aiello recorded a duet with rapper Hasan that he hopes will become the theme song for Rudy Giuliani's presidential bid. Aiello is about to shoot a video for the song in Hoboken, with him and Hasan portraying two Pied Pipers leading "children of all races through the streets."

Lenn K.

You can tell that Elizabeth is lying by the look on her face when she faces this beast. Go along to get along. This is Rosie's show and they all know it.

Rose

It's no wonder Meredith Viera is depressed, as she is the breadwinner in her family, since her husband suffers from multiple schlerosis.

BigPizzle

I love Meredith Viera, she is one of the best journalists, and tv show hosts on tv today. She is beautiful , witty, and very good at what she does. Meredith darlin, don't sweat the small stuff, especially negative fan mail, you are awesome!

Susan

It's so wonderful when celebrities admit to being less than perfect. A LOT of people suffer from bouts of depression as well as anxiety. Thank you SO much Meredith for letting us know you are human too. Cudos sista!

Hal

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: you have lowered yourself to Rosie's (slobber mouth) level -- you have sunk to a very classless, low life. Congrats

Hal

Meredith Viera: I can relate to your article. I admire you for coming forward to share this information. It's understandable that your life is "overflowing" with responsibility, and that does get to us at times! You are so good on tv, and I enjoy the program very much. There are always going to be "loose screws" that send ugly email; keep focusing on the "plus" ones, because I'm sure they outnumber the "uglies" by a great percentage!! You are respected and loved.

sachet

Poor little rich girl Meredith! And why did you effers have to drag Star into it. Into Merediths pitiful sob story. Why didn't you mention Elisabitch, or Joy or Baba Wawa, Star was not the only one working with Meredith. LEAVE STAR THE EFF ALONE!

She was no different than any other former stripper still trying to make money off her body at almost 40

Meredith Viera SHOULD BE DEPRESSED. She is about an IDIOT! She have some of the most inane interviews on TV -- MEREDITH, GO BACK TO THE VIEW!!! YOU HAVE NO GRASP ON THE REAL WORLD -- YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS. I wasn't a Katie Couric fan either, but Meredith Viera makes me wish for Katie back. MATT LAUER (GLOWER -- OLD SOUR PUSS) LOVED MEREDITH THOUGH BECAUSE SHE IS FINALLY SOMEONE HE IS SMARTER THAN.

Your'e Fired!

.............This one is for Meredith, I'm right beside you...You are not alone.....I wish I didn't feel these "emotions", but unfortunately, I DO!....The one good thing is, IT IS NOT ALL THE TIME!!! When I hear about people that have experienced these feelings it makes me know, I'm not crazy when I do feel them....Hang in there, You have alot on your plate, more than I....But, I'm right there with you.....

sachet

Vev

Meredith should look at her bank account and get a massage whenever she gets depressed.

whocares

WHY IS MEL GIBSON ON THAT LIST INSTEAD OF TOM CRUISE?

NOBODY CARES ABOUT HAS-BEEN JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, TOM BRADY, OR UGLY-FACE GISELE. GO AWAY.

Allred Tree

Meredith should be depressed and she should QUIT TODAY before she gets fired!
She has exposed herself for the greedy, two-faced phony person she is and has lost practically any credibility she had as a journalist.
She is NOT the NICE person she pretends to be. She was terribly rude when Donald Trump was a guest on "Today". He had been invited to discuss his show and all she did was bring up the hated Rosie O'Donnell.
Well, Miss Meredith, you are a back stabbing bit_h and everyone knows it. You are so materialistic and will stop at nothing to line your pockets with a few more sheckels.
One of the tabloids has a recent article about all the dissention Meredith has caused on "Today" and how she has tried to make the others look bad in order to make herself look good.
The ratings on "Today" are down since Meredith Viera was hired and
now is is time for her to be FIRED IMO! She in no way is worth the amount of money she is being paid - not even one quarter of it!

P.S. This bit_h has been this way for ages. She wanted to attend an Ivy League School and lied at fraternity parties or some such event in order to "be accepted" or "impress" or WEASEL HER WAY IN! UGH!

Vicki

I think Meredith is a class act... She is not only beautiful, but smart... We all should be so lucky to look at our bank account like she looks at hers....

Madeline