New Book Hits Too Close to Holmes?

4/12/2007 12:36 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Is "Hollywood Car Wash" -- the new novel about a young TV star from the Midwest who enters into a "contracted relationship" -- about Katie Holmes?
Katie Holmes
Various blogs have reported that Holmes got a copy of the book from a friend and is "furious" over it. When asked if Katie received the book, author Lori Culwell played it close to the vest; "I do know someone who knows her right now and might have given her the book," Culwell told TMZ. "I can't discuss any relationship with Katie Holmes, but I am sorry that she's upset about the book."

On her lawyer's advice, Culwell wouldn't tell us whether or not she knows Holmes, but she does maintain the book is "all based on real stories," and that "the main character is based on a person that is never, ever going to talk to me again."

"Hollywood Car Wash" is Culwell's debut novel, about a girl who lands a TV pilot and is forced to lose weight and completely change her appearance to be more marketable -- including "new teeth, blonder hair, and a megastar boyfriend with a big secret."

Holmes' rep, Ina Treciokas, flatly denies the rumors. She tells TMZ Katie has "never heard of this book, never read it and doesn't know the author."

The book has even drawn attention from a few film studios. "Three production companies are reading it for adaptation now," Culwell told us, before slyly adding, "And maybe Katie Holmes would like to play the main character." Maybe, indeed.

WHAT IS THE RUSH

EASY READ, GOOD BOOK. ALMOST DONE, ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD, FINES PEOPLE ONE WAY, SENDS THEM THROUGH A MACHINE, AND THEY COME OUT THE OTHER WAY. I'VE SEEN THAT MANY TIMES!

GOOD READ.

Gatorade Please

WHO CARES!

Sylvie Mtl

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are it is a duck. Palin and simple if the shoe fits, wear it. ha ha ha

Miapocca

Creepylicious

whatever

It's so about her. You know the relationship between her and Tom is a farce! He's gay. Enough said!

tina

if you look at brittany murphy she is a prime example of a hollywood car wash!

mmmmmmm

Do u think its true?i guess time will tell.....

Grossed Out in Texas

It's sad really, I miss who she used to be, when she was Katie Holmes. I think she really could have been a huge star, had the short little couch jumping weirdo not gotten his Scientology fangs in her. I always really thought Katie seemed very genuine and sincere, down to Earth and sweet. But that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

angela

sorry but if it was a true story it would not be published as a NOVEL. cheap publicity stunt to get book sales.

Michelle

It would make a great movie!!! And even if Katie and her reps deny it is about her, people still can't help but think it is. We watched the Katie we all loved fade away after Tom and Scientology took over her life!!!!

Allison

I'd read it

Jolene

I could care less about these two!! Tom Cruise makes me sick!!!! Nicole has done so much better~

Michelle

#1, Belle, obviously you care, or you would not have read and written about it!!

David Orbach

#8 - Many instances of stories based in fact, with names or locations changes, and physical characteristics altered to avoid lawsuits exist. All talk about this being Katie Holmes is merely conjecture. Therefore, no matter how obvious the parallels, Katie can never drag the author to court. A common (and smart) tactic on the part of her publishers.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments