Romney on Osama Sign: "Lighten Up"

7/23/2007 2:46 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Confronted at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire on Sunday about the now infamous picture of him with a sign that read, "No to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's Moma," Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney had a simple response: "Lighten up." Open mouth, insert foot!

The photo, which first appeared on TMZ, sparked a reader of BuckeyeStateBlog.com to ask, "How can you compare any American to Osama bin Laden?" Romney danced around the question with answers like, "I don't spend all the time looking at the signs and the t-shirts and the buttons." LDS should stand for "Look at the Damn Sign!"

When pressed further, Romney said, "Just lighten up." A true statesman.

Jersey

I can't wait until we get a Democrat in office. These republicans are ridiculous!!!!!

FilmNerdJamie

I'm no Republican (or Democrat for that matter!) But considering that Hilary and Obama have associated themselves with people who call Bush a Nazi (among other "classy" things), Romney's right. Lighten up!

dmann

That's Mitt's attempt at catering to the young hip hop crowd...I guess he's officially a rapper now!

honeycone71

I don't think Romney is a racist at all. Like our great president (Bush), vice president (Cheney) and most of the Republican party, he's just yet another ignorant son-of-a-bitch that dosen't have a f-----g clue. Can't blame it on him being a Mormon either...I mean Donny Osmond never said anything like that. And considering how most of America is feeling about the Republican party and how they're handling the war in Iraq, I'm sure it's not going to help Romney's bid for presidency in the least bit.

KenK

This was a liberal plant, and it accomplished getting this on TMZ. That was the most over reaction I have heard, I am sure this moron would be just as indignified about the left calling W a Nazi! What a joke.

bubbalicious

Riiight! He compares Obama and Hillary to Osama and is vilified. Yet the oh-so-tolerant left continues to compare Bush to Hitler and that's OK. Is that the stench of hypocrisy that I smell?

Terry

I don't think he reads all the signs before taking a dam picture with someone. Attempting to stir up some dirt,This is stupid.
TMZ should just stay away from politics. I dont come here for that, I would never come here for that lol!

Jazzy

Cry me a river, Romney. If you can't take heat over a sign then how do you expect to run an entire country? I agree with the first poster. All republicans should be fired or impeached. They're nothing but a bunch of self-serving war-mongerers.

celebrity.web.net

i'd still do em

costaMesaboy

...................................9/11 WAS A SCAM..................simple minded fools!!!!

Zenophobe Alien

Who the Hell cares. Obama is a muslim and Hillary is a man. Romney probaly has half a dozen wives. You know those Horny Mormons. We don't have much of a choice between these 3

lori all talk radio.net

HE SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT THE SIGN FIRST.

Jazzy

The only reason why Congress isn't accomplishing anything is because the ignorant republicans won't cooperate on anything. They're all hell-bent on going the wrong way as usual.

grasshopper

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IS BARACK OBAMA.

salty eli

Big deal, the lefties compare Bush to Hitler every day of the week. Not that it matters, Giuliani is going to be the next President and the crybaby loser Democrats can't do a damned thing about it.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments