« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Admiral Ackbar Closer to Ole Miss Mascot Status

2/24/2010 8:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Admiral Ackbar -- the Supreme Commander of the Rebel Alliance fleet -- is one step closer to becoming the new on-field mascot for the University of Mississippi.

Admiral Ackbar

Ole Miss is in the middle of a movement to replace their old mascot -- Colonel Reb -- after the school decided they wanted to update their image.

Tuesday, the students voted in favor of crowning a new mascot to represent Rebel Nation ... and the favorite so far is none other than the most famous Mon Calamari in the entire universe.

Several pro-Ackbar websites have recently emerged -- making the Admiral the heavy favorite. The University tells us the decision on the mascot is entirely in the hands of the student mascot committee. The University will hold a vote in the near future -- we'll keep you updated.

May The Force be with you.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

London not England

"WHAT IS THIS CREATURE"!!!!???

I wouldn't want to go to a school with some "THANG" like that as a Mascot....!

Then again, as a Black person, i wouldn't want to go to a school in Mississippi Anyway.....

they might try to make me drink from a different water fountain or something....

then deny it, or call me a "racist" for objecting to it....

bobby45

What's sad is the people on here spewing hate towards Mississippi. I would say they are the backwards, hate filled ones.

Cristin

Best mascot idea ever! I hope they can use it.

4crites

I see others called you down for calling Ole Miss " Ole Miss University". What is wrong with you?? LOL I am a graduate of MSU and I knew that.... duh! LOL Also Kim K worked in her dad's law office when she was in her teens. She talked about it on her family's show or some talk show. Also they say the mascot thing is all a big joke. Oh.... FYI Jesus was not gay unless you mean happy. He was just forward thinking male whose momma raised him well. :)

EmilyJ

"Then again, as a Black person, i wouldn't want to go to a school in
Mississippi Anyway.....

they might try to make me drink from a different water fountain or
something....

then deny it, or call me a "racist" for objecting to it...."

Wow. You have obviously never been to Mississippi, where the highest percentage of African Americans are located. You'd probably fit right in. I am really tired of people criticizing the South when they have never even been here. I've been all over the country and believe me, the South is not the only place with trashy people. Nothing pisses me off more than horrible comments that I know are not true.

Robert

The SEC is about prode and tradition. Does the KFC Colonel offend anyone? no

From all of us SEC Supporters if Ole Miss changes to that Star Wars Freak we would like for East Carolina to join the SEC.

ECU is a great school and has great football and baseball teams and lots of pride.

Just look at their logo.. It rocks!! Arrrh Pirates!

Joe Wallace

I'm loving the Ackbar thing, but Rally Reb the Phoenix is a serious mascot idea that ole miss should consider.

Simone

First!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simone

*flashes my boobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Shecky

Lookin' good Ole' Miss!

PolarBear

I've sent an urgent request from Earth, for Admiral Ackbar and his fleet of mollusk-faced beach barnacles to force TMZ to put the LIVE CHAT feature on the main page. Or else there will be an invasion.

Kev

It's a trap!!!

Fubunki PunkChat

How much is George Lucas going to make on this?

chasestanley@att.net

It's the UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI not MISSISSIPPI UNIVERSITY... and yet we are supposedly the "stoopid" ones... Research people! :)

Strawberrygirl

*Chase* you took the words right out of my mouth...

Helllloooo!!!! it's the .... UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI!

****************** The Holy Land! ;)*************************

The South. One of the best kept secrets. ;)

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments