Singer Accused of Illegally Killing Tame Bear

8/16/2006 3:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Troy Lee GentryDULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004. The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine. Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

Read the full indictment

hadray

What a despicable human being (if you can call him that)!

James in Milwaukee

He's the lowest of the low, what a creep! Typical no talent country flash trash.

A.J.

That is beyond despicable. I agree with Lizzy - one of the most revolting stories I have heard. He should be ashamed of himself and I sincerely hope he has time to comtemplate the horror of this crime - from prison.

Elli

What a monster! He thought that what he did was in compliance w/the law!??! Placing a tame bear in a CAGE and then shooting it?!?! (Even IF he actually believed/thought that, he obviously has no compassion or respect for living beings.) How could a human being even consider doing such a despicable thing? How would gentry hold up IN A LOCKED CAGE w/a not-so-tame bear and NO WEAPONS; a fair fight?? It's just horrible, unthinkable, and it sickens me.

He is a sick killer and laws protecting animals should be stiffer, as well as the punishment. Then maybe sick-os like this guy would think twice before killing or hurting any kind of animal in any way. I hope he gets a lot of jail time b/c I'm sure he won't have to fight his way out a locked cage w/a wild bear.

It's horrible, sickening, and disheartening. Also, I hope that NO ONE buys ANY of his albums. I'm happy to say that I don't know ANY of his music and hope that this man does not make another dime.

Good day to all of the kind people out there who have compassion and care for all living things. :o) May peace, understanding, respect, and appreciation of life come to those who do not yet know these things.

Peace.

this makes me sick!

I was sick when I read this, everyone who has a brain should boycott the SOB's cd's and make him work for his money. He is as sick as they come. Anyone who can kill an animal in an enclosed area has to overcompansate for his lack of penis!!!

Dick-less red-neck.

Cranky Pants

The douchbag's wearing a Harley t-shirt. How much you wanna bet his has training wheels? and is pink? If he even HAS one.

The more I hear about this story the more I hope PETA beats his sorry ass all the way back to Hicksville.

just me

This has completely changed how I feel about this guy. What a creep.. and he's a father... good role model

abby

Poor 'ol Troy. yeah WHATEVER. I have known him and his family for many years. There is no way he could really go hunting,he might get his shoes dirty .Even worse he could get dirt under his manicured nails.Or his jeans might get dirty,they are expensive you know. Rough tough cowboy he is not.I hope he finds out that daddy can't get him out of this trouble. He's not the sharpest pencil in the box thats for sure, but I have never considered him a complete DUMBASS until now. Nice job Troy.I'm sure your mama is proud.

Pieta

some big man! must feel great killing a penned up animal. Rotten SOB. Someone should pen him up. It is sick how these pigs get a thrill out of "hunting" animals that are penned up - they do it with wild boars, deer, you name it. What a fuck!!!!!!!!!!1

JEB

Scumbag. What's the cigar for? Remind him of his boyfriend?

Alli

I sincerely hope he is sentenced to the max and no one ever buys ANY of his crap ever again (assuming anyone did before). This is one low SCUMBAG and joke of a "man"!

Whatever

What a nasty ass wipe! Hope the bear comes out of the grave and rips his head off.

Carolyn

Watchout I hear another slap on the wrist coming!!!!! What a complete a-hole. I respect bow hunters, but both he and the so called "guide" should get jail AND a hefty fine. And "guide boy" better have his license taken FOREVER!!!! PUKE PUKE PUKE!!! I could strangle them both AT LEAST ID USE MY OWN TWO HANDS!!!! Dumbasses

array

What a pig!! He really is the bottom of the barrel. I hope he gets jail time, and not just community service!

?

Now this is a story that needed attention! Glad to see everyone on the same page. What a loser! A possible 5 year jail sentence & a $20k fine isn't enough. Let's hang him.

P.S. Gish - Lexington, Kentucky isn't exactly Hicksville.