Cheesy Lawsuit Against O

12/1/2006 5:53 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Z SpinThis class action lawsuit against O Magazine is a cheap attempt to use Oprah to grab some publicity.

True enough, TMZ broke the story that a disgruntled subscriber has sued the mag and Hearst Publications, claiming she was double billed for her magazines and threatened to pay up -- or else her credit rating would go in the toilet. Maybe she was double billed. It happens. But frankly, it happens with lots of magazines, so why did the lawyers in this case zero in on O? Then answer lies in the O, and the P R A and H.

These lawyers got one pissed-off woman to launch a class action lawsuit. So how are they going to get other plaintiffs? Well, first you need the media to put the word out so other subscribers will follow suit. After all, the more plaintiffs, the more money the lawyers make. The media isn't going to do a story on Popular Mechanics over-billing its customers. Oprah, on the other hand, is a sure bet.

I won't deny it. TMZ dug up the lawsuit and broke the story. And that's exactly what the lawyers wanted. Should we have published it? It's hard to play judge when it comes to reporting on court cases. But Z-Spin is my chance to talk about the real deal, and the real deal is that this lawsuit is a little bit sickening.

I don't know her, but I'm guessing Oprah doesn't have much to do with sending out invoices for magazines. She's kinda pressed for time. But using Oprah's name -- that's gold. The lawyers were actually legally wrong when they repeatedly referred to the publication as Oprah Magazine. It's called O. But maybe the lawyers weren't sure if the media would figure out that O stands for Oprah. So for safe measure, they used an incorrect magazine title to ensure attention.

In the end, if this lawsuit goes anywhere, the plaintiff's will each get $10 and the lawyers will get rich. This is a case where a celebrity was totally used in an unfair way, and it kinda sucks.

Wicked

NOW DO YOU PEOPLE SEE HOW WHE MADE HER MONEY.
OPRAH IS A OREO...WANNABEE CRACKER, FAT CELLULITE ASS BITCH PIECE OF HOME MADE...DOWN SOUTH...BITCH HO.

I CAN'T STAND THE SIGHT OF THIS FREAK.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Wicked

I can't stand this phoney psycho either. She is a fraud.

Wicked

Yeah #3, I can't stand this asswipe either. She is the poorest excuse of a woman who has wrecked havoc on the Afro American people...hates being black, sucks the life out of the white people in America. She is a waste of space, NASTY, super ugly, fat psycho.

Wicked

Oprah is just pissed off because no matter how much money she has, it's not enough to buy WHITE SKIN. Too bad for you Oprah. She sucks.

Wicked

Oprah is awful. So conceited. She hates people that are black. Too bad...so sad..you are not white. She should be sent back to Africa tied to the ship by a rope and dragged through the ocean waters. Loser.

wtf??

Jessica, turn off the caps lock, get a spell checker and grow up. If you can't comment intelligently, please don't comment at all. And will you stop making everything that happens a race issue? Get over it! If being black, from the south, one of the richest women in the world as well as a humanitarian makes someone a "freak,” I’m sure a whole lot of us would try like hell to be freaks.

As far as the lawsuit, of course it is bogus. And what better way to make money off of someone than to get media attention and attract more bogus plaintiffs to your case?

Should TMZ run the article? Well, they write detailed articles every time LaLohan, B-Spears or that Hilton chic takes a crap or picks their nose, so why wouldn't they write about this one? The headline alone was enough of an attention grabber to pull me in, read the comments and respond. So they achieved what they set out to do.

Sillyme

I never order magazine presents for this reason.. you spend months getting the billing right. Doesn't matter which magazine it's the same run around., or four months of delivery then nothing, a new biling.. reup your account for more savings, if you don't answer we will assume you agree.. blah blah.

Wicked

musical...you need to shut the fvck up and get real. O is a poor excuse of a black woman.

wtf??

Ryan, I'd rather be a rich, educated, morally sound and admired black woman named Oprah, than whatever you are - Loser. And I'm sure you're not white, because I am. And I would hate to be considered in the same race as someone of your lame and unarticulated point of view.

Wicked

I'm with you people. I can't stand the OREO either. This country is messed up thinking she is worth 5 minutes of my television viewing time.

She is awful.

teeks

#7 Musical, I agree with your post except for one thing. Ryan IS white, unfortunately, I think we are both the same race as this loser. No black person would suggest another black person go back to Africa. Also, the name 'Ryan' just screams 'WUSSY SCRAWNY WHITE BOY', dontcha think?

sam

And you Jessica are a poor excuse for a women/ little girl. What a mouth and you criticize Oprah for being successful? Grow up dear, you're ugly is showing!

wtf??

Jessica, let me guess - you speak for all of the black women in the world due to your profound "black" experiences? And I can't comment about the success of one of your people just because I'm not black? You're ridiculous.

Like I said before, get a spell checker and think before you add your next comment. I'm sure you're sitting on top of a media dynasty worth billions and you're just checking out tmz.com to kill time - NOT!

Wicked

Musical, you've got that right.

I am a cracker.

Oprah is an Oreo.

You are a pathetic loser.

FREAKS

Wicked

I hope these people get hundreds of millions out of this a**hole. Oprah makes me want to puke.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments