Peter Boyle Dead at 71

12/13/2006 1:59 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Peter BoyleActor Peter Boyle, most recently seen as the father on "Everybody Loves Raymond," died at New York Presbyterian Hospital, his publicist said today. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease.

Boyle was nominated for seven Emmys for his work as Frank Barone on the hit CBS show, but never won. He won an Emmy in 1996 for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for an appearance on "The X Files." He most recently appeared in the Christmas comedy "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" playing Father Time.

According to IMDB, John Lennon was the best man at his wedding back in 1977. He is survived by his wife Loraine and two daughters, Lucy and Amy.

Mr. X

Godspeed Peter. Thanks for all of the laughs. Condolences to your family and friends.

Lori

He was one of the great ones...he made that show. He will truly be missed but will live on in film and t.v. God Bless his family and friends...L

Flood

He was a great dancing Frankenstein (putting on the ritz!) and hilarious TV Dad.

TMZ Newbie

I didn't watch Everybody Loves Raymond until the reruns. I just happened to catch it one day and got hooked! One of the best comedies on TV ever! Peter Boyle was the absolute funniest character on the show in my opoinion. Prayers to his family.

USHER LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER

Peter, you will be missed. You were an awesome actor!!!!

HotMexx

Tears will be shed for the loss of this man whom I've never had the pleasure of meeting. The character he played as Raymond's dad "Frank" on "Everybody Loves Raymond" made me laugh out loud often as well as the other roles that he played. God Bless his soul and his family during this time. He was a good one, he will be missed greatly.

billyboyhere

His role in the movie Joe was spot on. What an actor this man was. From serious to theatrical to comedic. Plus he was a nice man.

God Bless Peter Boyle

adventurousmomof2

So sad! He was still young! Very funny guy - he will be missed. I didn't know John Lennon was his best man! How awesome is that!? RIP Peter!

Lisa

NOOOOOOOO! I love him! R.I.P. Peter. Thanks for the laughs!

Laura

He was great and will be sorely missed but never forgotten!!!

Ana

Shock and sadness. He was a truly funny man who seemed to be a real person. The world was better with him here.

Rick

I am very saddened to hear this. As Frank Barone he was great as with his other roles. I became a fan when he starred in Young Frankenstein, he was great in that movie. He will be missed.

Wicked

R.I.P. Peter...you done good...I'll see you on the other side.

Jason

Omg! I just saw and I gasped in shock! U will be missed

Jennifer

The last time I saw him on air he looked like he was not well. I was hoping it was temporary. I cannot imagine never seeing him as a core character on a drama or sitcom again. He managed to make the most unlikable character the most enjoyable foil on any sitcom I have ever seen. He will be so missed and he has an indelible spot in tv history. I was always saddened he was not recognized by emmy voters for the strong support he provided Ray Romano and Doris Roberts. I surely hope his passing is properly recognized. Thanks for the memories and see you in the reruns Frank!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments