Knight: Isaiah Forced Me Out with "Faggot" Slur

1/17/2007 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

T.R. Knight says that Isaiah Washington forced him out of the closet when he called him a "faggot" on the set of "Grey's Anatomy."

What's more, Knight tells Ellen DeGeneres that he's dumbfounded by Washington's denial of having called Knight a "faggot" in a scuffle with "Grey's" co-star Patrick Dempsey. Washington offered the denial in an interview at Monday's Golden Globes. Knight, in turn, told Ellen, "I don't know what to say, really, about that."

Knight also says that he'd never been called by the slur "to his face," and when he heard Washington refer to him in that way, "something shifted, and it became bigger than myself." Shortly thereafter, Knight revealed to People magazine that he is, in fact, gay, but says he never intended to before the incident. "It became important to make the statement," he says.

Knight appears on today's episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show." Check your local listings.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Katie

Kendra, you act like TR has said horrible things about African Americans, so he deserved it. It is a shame that people have and still do discriminate against African Americans, however, does that make it right for someone who hasn't said any bad things against someone (not sure if TR has or not but hypothetically), to be called something like the F word? As for 'the girl' who said she'd 'throw down' for TR, I'll bet you she could. Just because a woman is a woman doesn't mean she can't win a fight with a man. I have had, unfortunately, been in a situation where I needed to defend myself and I can say for sure that I held my own. You shouldn't generalize your comments because no two people in the world are exactly the same. Maybe you can't defend yourself, but in that case, maybe you ought to take some self-defense courses because clearly you are not confident in your ability to protect yourself and one day you might need those skills.
I don't think Isiah should be fired but maybe he needs his pay docked.
I am absolutely sickened by the people who actually think that it's ok for Isiah or anybody to call someone else that kind of name. Grow up people and start respecting people around you, we already have enough hate in this world.

Misty

I think that Isaiah Washington needs to be dropped from the show period.

theeg

*waits patiently for racist comment from bitter white dude*

She's a Loser

Nope...no racist comment needed....Isaiah Washington is just an arrogant a**hole that thinks he is bigger than he is....

OhMyFavorite

In these modern times many people sling the word "faggot" at people. It is usually a slur concerning machismo and not a direct accusation about sexual orientation. Unless they've got a picture of you coming up for air, don't ever let somebody else make you unintentionally reveal your sexual orientation. Would you say you murdered someone because you were called chicken?

Derek

lol...i cant wait for Katharine Heigl to "throw down" and kick Isiah's ass. and Isiah lied about it and hd the worst things to say about the incident!

kiki

So, it's ok for a n*gger to call a white guy a faggot. I can only imagine what a big deal the media would've made of this if T.R. would've called Isaiah a n*gger!

Dash

TMZ:

Please take some responsibility for the content posted on your site and edit or remove posts such as #7. Simply ignorant for no reason.

KiKi

THIS WORLD IS GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL ANYWAYS

SO WHATEVER!

NIGGER, FAGGOT, HUNKY

WHO CARES.

theeg

*observes the racist comment that was obviously coming and shakes head in dissapointment*

Dash

People please (#7 and 10), lets all pretend to have some class - even as we call eachother names and talk about people we shall never know.

Dash

theeg

You were indeed correct...I just knew someone out there was waiting to start the next round of nonesense - but hoped against hope we could avoid it just this one time.

amy

The insult of names forced him out of the closet?? What happened to sticks and stones??

KiKi

# 12

IT IS TOO OBVIOUS THAT THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN HAS NO CLASS OR MORALS

OR VALLUES. BE REALISTIC!

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS,

YOU CANT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO OR SAY.

ITS WRONG TO CALL PEOPLE NAMES SURE

BUT THIS IS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN

acg

#7 has a very valid point. They probably could've worded their comment a little better, but if TR had called Isiah the N word, the world would've gone insane, like they did when Michael Richards made an ass of himself on stage. But they didn't. They shrugged it off and said "well he should get over it". Now I personally think that he should get over it, not because I think that the comment wasn't that bad, because it was. He should get over it because life is too short to play childish grade school games like that. "He called me a name", "I never called him that", "leave my friend alone or I'll beat you up". It's all immature nonsense. I expect better of these highly paid individuals.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments