Decomposing Anna

2/26/2007 3:29 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Anna's FeetSo it looks like we know what's going to happen to Anna Nicole Smith's body -- it's going to the Bahamas. But what's really going on with Anna Nicole's body -- as in, a body that's been deceased since February 8. (Warning: this can get a little grisly, so avoid ingesting within a couple hours of eating.)

TMZ got the details of decomposition from three prominent forensic scientists, including Dr. Arpad Vass of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a frequent consultant for police department nationwide, and here's the story.

For the first few days after you stop breathing and your blood stops flowing, your body's cells still think they're alive, and start to digest themselves from the inside, though your brain cells typically die within three to seven minutes after you do. Your skin, as it begins to get ingested by enzymes, begins to slough, slip, and shrink, causing sheets of skin to fall away; it's this shrinkage that explains the myth that your hair and nails continue to grow after death.

This is when things really get ugly, about four to six days after death. In what's known as putrefaction, bacteria begin to break down your body's tissues. The pancreas quickly digests itself, the gases in your abdomen start to blow up, causing green, blue and black colorations on the surface, and swelling within. Your tongue may shoot out of your mouth, and your body will begin to explode with sulphuric (i.e., really rotten egg-like) smells.

But here's the good news for Anna -- embalming will give the body up to a year of relief, especially if done well, with synthetic fluids. Dr. Vass tells TMZ that a body embalmed at the highest level of skill could be recognizable for up to two years.

k

WHY IS THIS BEING POSTED? COME ON, I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A RAG BUT SOME INTGRITY WOULD BE NICE.

no pervs allowed

When I worked at a funeral home with my father the mortician, he explained to me that he had the ability to embalm a person to make the last forever or he could embalm you to last only a week,,, it is the quality of the embalming that helps preserve the body longer. On the bright side, her boobs still look good. Thank God for silicone.

Justin

It must be a slow day for TMZ if you have post something like this.

This is kind of pathetic!

newsjunkie

but seriously, is that her foot?

TMZ please have my family embalm me right away so I dont have to worry about this...lol

howie aint had any in 10 yrs!

Part of the reason is b/c she was NOT embalmed for a week AFTER she died so decomp had already set in. At least James Brown was embalmed immediately and that is why they are not having this problem.

Missyb

Ok TMZ yall are good with new info but this one is one we could do without! We know shes gone and we can guess the rest IF WE WANT!
i think she needs to be laid beside her son which is where she has wanted to be for the past few months!

Kristen

Can anyone tell me what TMZ stands for? And do we know for sure that ANS's body has been embalmed? Thanks for anyone who'll help with an answer.

jane smith

This is unneccesary info. Who cares. That's why I couldn't understand what Judge Larry was talking about. The three people involved have viewed the body. Who else needs to see it.? It's not like they are going to have a public viewing for g.. sake.
You need to remove that immediately.

Dee

It's SULFURIC.
NOT SULPHURIC.
take some chemistry courses, everyone knows how to spell sulfur

marrie

i wonder wat would have happened if they had cremated anna and given the ashes to all parties involved * i have this sick feeling that virgie the evil would have sold it on e-bay claiming it was just to difficult and emotional for her to have around*

Cinnamonbearfun

Is this really necessary to have on TMZ.com? I mean who does the benefit and why is this considered something of celebrity news?

crimdellacrim

what happens to the silcone? i bet those will be on ebay a decade from now. leaving us the only thing left of her to even remember.

back in the day

With all the security, someone did get in there and get photos!!! HOW??

Stella

I find this article quite fascinating. It is very educational and scientific. Although I don't see a need for it to be on tmz.com, I think many of Anna's fans are curious as to what her body may look like right now. This is certainly a lot better than the celebrity butt crack article.

Jana

C'mon. I am absolutely finished with this web site-never again to be visited. I thought Harvey Levin had a little more class than this. He is white trash scum and I am appalled with this so-called "artist rendition" of ANS's toe tag. Harvey-you don't get any lower than this.