"Idol" Ratings Hit a Season J-Low

4/11/2007 1:47 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Early numbers are in for last night's "American Idol." The sad fact -- Sanjaya may be up, but the numbers are down.
American Idol
Fifty-two million eyeballs (or, making the assumption most people have two eyes, 26 million people) tuned in last night to watch J.Lo coach the contestants, according to Marc Berman from The Programming Insider. That's almost a million less than last week, four million less than the same week last season, and 11 million less than the January premiere. Ouch!

But let's get real: "Idol" still rocks. The two weekly shows are consistently #1 and #2 in the ratings, drawing nearly five million more viewers than third place "CSI." So the sky isn't exactly falling, but the juggernaut seems to be getting a little long in the tooth.

Britney Spears Photos

Not very likely

ann

The contestents are too boring!!!

Pam

Sorry Nigel - its boring. Same old thing week after week - Randy is "dawg this" and "dawg that", Paula parrots whatever Randy says, Simon is always negative - cabaret, lounge, blah, blah, blah. I usually TIVO, then watch while speeding through the endless commercials. Don't have any recommendations - but I think you are losing us.

where is the justice

Sorry but the show just isn't that good this year.!!!!!! Besides Sanjaya has actually ruined it for me because of all the bogus votes. Maybe next year will be better .....we shall see.

Diana

I agree the contestants are not as good this year. The best are Lakisha, Melinda and Jordin.
Sanjaya is giving AI a bad name, thanks to votefortheworst.com. It'll be sad if he does win and Simon really quits. But I don't blame him. It's a singing contest, not a popularity contest!

antiAMERICAN IDOL

i was one of the missing -- i now longer enjoy nor watch idol they need better singers than this season (maybe 3 predictable good ones that's it) and jennifer lopez as a coach
what an insulting joke -- teach her !

Meowch

Jambalaya has turned it into a farce-

They about to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The show just sucks,really sucks,last nights show was bad,I would rather watch hockey than americian Idol,And I hate hockey, dont expect to sell maney C/Ds,Paris will sell more than anybody on the show

mary

This is the first year I have watched "Idol" and I am really enjoying it. I think it is best when
they sing songs everyone knows.

Stephanie

American Idol would not be having this problem if they would actually let all the good singers get into the to the top ten. Instead, they pick and choose people they think are cute or interesting to get ratings. They put Sanjaya on the show - now they have to deal with the mockery the show is becoming. Stephanie

Janeanne

Sanjaua has ruined it for me too. I have stopped watching and just check web to see who gets booted. I WILL NOT WATCH AS LONG AS SANJAYA IS ON.

blah

brazilian model... isn't that usually portuguese for '5 figure celebrity whore' and 'post-op transsexual'?

Me

The contestants this season are the worst. I have no real interest in them. If you take anyone's best performance, it would still be worse than any other comparable season's performances...and we know it and the judges know it. So instead, they spend their time saying things like Blake Lewis' performance was good when, in another season, he would have been told it was substandard. What's left to say when you have to pick and choose among "fair to middlin," hunting for your best?

Add to that "the Sanjaya factor," and, to paraphrase Randy, "the ratings are droppin' like flies, dawg."

Joasis

Here's a show idea: If it happens..I will sue..haha
Let's put bands that have already recorded up against each other and let america vote for that..then they settle it on the results show in a bar fight!

Show idea#2
Lets start Second Chance
premes: Anyone over the age of 35 can try out and the record company that takes the winner under their wing makes them a one hit wonder..HILARIOUS!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments