Rapper Backs Off "Snitching" Comments

4/26/2007 2:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cam'ronCam'ron is apologizing for his comments on Sunday's "60 Minutes," where he told Anderson Cooper that he wouldn't turn in a serial killer if he were living next door to one. Good thing he doesn't host a radio show.

As part of a story about snitching, Cam'ron said, "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.'" Word?

In a statement, Cam'ron tried to explain what he said, "Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality."

Cam'ron went on -- "Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime," the rap star said in a statement issued today. "Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Bambi

I am so over the "poor black" me syndrome in america today!!!It is 2007 get over it once and for all!!! Not one person can change the past so live and let live!!!

ivy

TO DEEZ NUTZ AND JL:

IF COMMENTS BY ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE DELETED ON THIS SITE AS YOU SAY, HOW COME YOUR COMMENTS REMAIN?

YOU'RE IDIOTS.

ravenbeauty

to #123 who thought that he was showing me to be a hypocrite, t!hank you for proving my point! And the funniest thing is you probably thought that you comments weren't racist. You probably sat back after you typed this nonsense and said to yourself " I told her. See, i'm not racist". You are the type of person that I was talking about. So, thank you again from the bottom of my heart for proving that there are people out there like you. Have a good day.

wilson

annie-ruth

"proving your point? people out there like me?"
Please do elaborate on your well thought out response from the bottom of your heart.
Double standard? sure but ouch you told me didnt you. Funny how I said the same thing you did but just reversed the races and you got yourself all offended,imagine that for irony.

lala

Keonlili, please be safe and turn to God in prayer. Remember the actress who stood up to a "thug" who was trying to rob her and her friends? She is dead now. They are young with little education but they are stone, cold killers. Do not die trying to be hard are be a hero. Do your best to help your neighborhood, but don't YOU be stupid about it. TAKE CARE....

Jax

First..he's a loser

Lilarose

OK, accept his apology and explanation.

I would go a step farther, Cam'ron and do something positive in your community and for the nation (since you are a celebrity) to change this terrible "Don't Snitch" trend.

Emmanuel

And his fake ass isn't that proper....we all know one of your publicist wrote that....fake ass!

Alec Baldwin

Here is yet another example of how blacks perpetuate black on black crimes. The only people who can actually exact change in "black america" are black americans.
Your reality is what it is because of you and your "culture" and you have the power to change it Mr. Cam'ron...or not.

hurl

I agree with the first comment. I found the piece on 60 minutes completely disturbing and sad. I have a feeling that cam'ron got in trouble with his record company because he basically said that they don't care how bad it looks or seems, they only care about money.

What I found most disturbing was the group of teens from a CHURCH GROUP who basically agreed with Cam'ron that they shouldn't snitch, no matter what. A church group? You would think at least those kids would have a little better outlook.

If you didn't see the piece on 60 minutes, here is a link to it:

butweiner

IDIOT MINDSET!! This type of attitude will only embolden criminals to keep taking advantage of our fears!!

SlappDaddy

Give the guy a break, it sounds like he was trying to honest, with regard to his own reality, and how he see's things.

burningsensation

Nice. His P.R. guy could have at least worded the statement to make it sound like something the guy might actually say.

Amazing

Wait! Isn't that Jamie Foxx? Does Camron still live in "his neighborhood" where this goes on or has he moved into the richest white neighborhood he can find like all the rest?

Michellr

He is right. I moved into a 'black' apartment complex in Atlanta when I became a single mother. First night there saw someone beating the hell out of a boy and called the police, tried to stop them. I got pulled to the side and kindly told (and they were kind, she said I seemed nice, but ignorant and she didn't want me to get hurt because I had two little babies) to NEVER EVER let ANYONE know you called the police. Matter of fact, pretend you don't have a phone so they can't even blame it on me if the police get called.

I only lived there six months, but it was the longest six months of my life.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments