Jerry Falwell 1933 - 2007

5/15/2007 6:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Party 'till you die!

Pandora, I'm not sure if I just got labeled as a person who uses the 'domination/competition' way on how my Martial Arts is practiced? I would consider it as a bit of an insult if this is the case. MA has taught me many things about myself, the world, other people, and how energy and philosophy are integrated into everything. In a way, I have to have an understanding that this is indeed somewhat similar to what religion and faith do for their followers. What I study is another set of beliefs and practices also, that may or may not conflict w/ other's ideologies despite what my intentions may be. Like the Arts, I must try to respect other people's choices until they become aggressive and violent towards me, or others who I care about.
1st, I do Not compete w/ my Art as it is not designed to be competitive in any way. We are only competing w/ ourselves in the quest for understanding. As far a dominating people, the Arts do flavor almost everything in my life in subtle and not so subtle ways. Most of my casual friends do not know I practice anything and I tend not to tell people about it in public, because it often brings out an aggressive side in others who wish to challenge me for some reason. I do not seek to dominate anyone, except in cases where I am forced to use it defensively.
What it does do for me is to build a confidence of not having to worry as much about aggression in others, because I am at least prepared in ways that exceed most people's understanding and abilities. It also helps me to identify aggression and gives me nonviolent solutions to deal such things. Many people call this 'verbal judo', in that you use your skills to negate bad situations and to avoid potential situations. I am also at a skill level that allows me to 'handle' people in ways that no actual damage is done. Much like the concept of blocking, we do not wish to absorb negative energy of any kind by not engaging it, blocking it, and stepping away from it. We also use aggression and energy against itself in ways that Akido does. Like being charged by an aggressor, it is often best to simply side step out of the way and allow that energy to be negated, or to crash into a wall under it's own power. Yes, I do know how to throw someone by their eye sockets, but I cannot possibly imaging allowing myself to do this, or to even get into a situation where it is needed, but I am still prepared to use it if ever absolutely needed. As ED alluded to before, sometimes it is impossible to be totally passive, but I have found this to be a rare exception and almost never the rule. As I said, in my 14 years of using this, I have Never been in an altercation where I have had to injure anyone seriously. I have spent my life ensuring that the temptations to use it unnecessarily have been avoided. If I allow myself to be lured into a situation I don't need to act upon, then I am now playing their game and subject to their rules. No Bueno!
A few years ago, I was unexpectedly challenged by my old, drunken roommate as I came in from class and he ended up swinging at me before I knew what was happening. He's larger than I am at 6'5'' and was built up pretty well. When he swung, I blocked his punch by stepping into his circle. Then I grabbed the offending arm at the wrist and elbow and put his hand up near his head as he tried to pull away, which allowed me to drop him to his back and lock him up. I ended up w/ my knee on his chest and I had his wrist bound against the ground next to his head, in a painful position, using my weight and left arm/hand, while my right hand was firmly gripping his trachea. I then asked him if he wished to continue in a fairly passive voice and his response was a slurred "Nonononono, NO! He knew I could have done anything I wanted to him, but I let him up and he NEVER Challenged me again. He was actually very cool to me from then on and we never spoke about it again. What he never knew was my minor struggle not to let my aggression and negative impulses take us both to a place that neither of us needed to go. Adrenalin can be a very bad thing to allow to rule- I would have been playing his 'game' then.
This is what I mean by taking a higher road. I turned an aggressor into an ally. I hope you understand what I mean here. If not, just ask. Just please do not assume that you know about how my Art is practiced, unless you have been trained in it. There is NOTHING else quite like it. This applies to ALL things, including religion and life in general. I am not religious, so it is often difficult Not to make such assumptions about people without at least finding out a few facts and talking to people who practice it. This is much of my reason for being here in this blog. I seek more info and I sure am getting loads of it from all sides. People like you, ED, Lenny, Steve, and many others have taught me much! I will still make errors, as I have here, but I still find all of this info invaluable t

pandora

Once upon a time Ed, people like us were overwhelmed by the insanity of the world and were moved to pray for divine intervention. I believe these children (this generation coming in now) is an answer to our prayers. Why would we doubt it is possible to solve age-old problems through evolutionary means that come from a benevolent Creator?

pandora

Seeks Peace, I'm sorry for not making myself clear

I understand the Marshall Arts as having a spiritual core that abhors violence, yet prepares to deflect it with prevailing force. I too make acceptions to violence when It comes after me. I do not, however, advocate it as a solution in today's world of communication excellence.

I was paying you a compliment, I have been trying to keep my posts short - sometimes at the risk of clarity. and, no I have not been able to keep them short anyway

ED

Seeks Peace
I understand Pandora's dislike for violence. It's a yes and no thing with me, and I'll tell you why. In my youth I was trained by a friend who knew the Korean style of empty hand. He was good. At only 5'3" he could handle just about anyone. He's been dead about 30 yrs. now because he was too good to fight, so they shot him. While I see that sometimes we are left with no choice, I also see Pandora's point that it is all pointless when sooner or later somebody will resort to the ultimate win strategy of killing. I see one side and then the other and I'm left with no answer.

Party 'till you die!

Pandora, no problem, I just wanted to make sure. And like I said, MA can easily be looked at as being very similar to how people view religion in some ways. Because of this, I will always be biased towards it, since it is my life's passion. I am not free of being biased because of it, but it is something I must always be aware of. It is simply how it is.

pandora

This dilemma about the appropriate levels of violence to use upon the intimidating form that we, in fact, create through misunderstanding, is the age-old issue of sages who fight for love, home and hearth. Survival is a sign of the will to live, no matter what.

In my studies I have traced the movements of 'The Will to Live' in diverse groups of people from all types and I will say that the Will to Live is the core conversation that hides in the darkness of denied terror. Until terror jumps forward to force the issue about the apparent imbalance that is disturbing the peace, we were content to deny fear to the point it became terror.

FEAR IS LOVE LOOKING FOR A SAFE PLACE TO EXPAND - we came for a place to be ourselves. I never want to live alone in the vacuum of being right - stuck in the never ending battle between good and evil or positive and negative. Just because I am of the negative polarity of creation does not mean I am un-desireable. When I am stuck in a cesspool of injustice i become the siren - the warning siren. Do not take the battery out of the smoke alarm JUST because you keep burning the toast!

So sorry Lenny, I just keep going on and on today...will you ever forgive me?

pandora

I needed to feel resolution on some level today, which is why I did little other than yell and preach and sputter about my passion for life in every form here today.

I want so much to get down to the place we ALL live everyday working hard to estabish peace while dealing with chronic imbalance. The Will to live is a possession that no one, or group can ever take from you. Your individual truth is the fountain of youth, once you eliminate your future plan for physical death. Choose life and find your own answers in your persuit of happiness. in your own personal faeiry tale of orgasmic delight that I call a 'State of Grace'.

Tom Cruz

Seeks peace or whoever......so I understand how you dont want religion in politics, thats fine. So I ask you now where do you draw the line with secularism? Cause i feel they also have an agenda and that is to go as far left as possible, anything whch honestly mocks religions in general, meaning no limits of any kind. I feel there is also some agenda there. For example, beastiality was legal in amsterdam by the way for quite awhile cause everything was ok, all the drugs in the world was ok, etc. That is how secularized they became. I dont think thats what you would want. Sure religion can be dangerous but certain teachings can also keep people in line. its called common decency!

Party 'till you die!

Yeah ED, there are some situations where you finally meet that person who is simple better, or who has the upper hand ( like a gun at distance). We also do not train w/ weapons, but we do study to to partial negate them in many instances. For instance, a gun at distance is almost impossible to counter, but surprisingly, at close range a knife is more dangerous that a gun is. This is partially due to the fact that a person w/ a weapon almost always think that they have an upper hand. At close range, a gun only has one linear direction ( outside of percussion damage-which can be fatal too, think Russian Roulette w/ blanks) in which it can operate, whereas a knife can be fatal at any angle. We even do a last chance, but fairly easy removal of guns, where a gun pointed at the back of your head with their other arm around you. It's always a risky move, but it is a ctually quite easy to get out of the hold, with the gun now in your hand. Sounds like BS to some, but it does work. We use blank guns and cap guns to practice these moves and use 'live knives' and practice knives to hone our skills. Remember, this is an Art that has military origins, hence our style of training and application.
As far as it being helpful in the real word, yes and no. There are limitations to all Arts and anyone who says their art is impervious and perfect is simply deluded. My grand Master feared a 14 y/o in the slums of the world, more than he feared a Spetnatz ( Russian Sp. Forces) trained person, filled w/ muscle. I think you can see why. His body was covered in scars because of this lack of being impervious. He was shot, knifed, tortured, blown up, beaten up, but he still lived thru all of his encounters ( sometimes barely). I remember asking him about a low knife block and he chuckled at me and in his humorous Chinese inflected style he said "Oh, I once tried a similar removal. It did not work." and then he rolled up his camis and showed me a HUGE Scar on his quads from this mistake. He laughed at his own mistake, because he was that type of guy. We lost contact w/ him and we still believe that he died from cancer he claimed was from Agent Orange and Not from any conflict. He was a very sick man, but it was almost impossible to detect because of his good nature and his huge amount of skill and power he still possessed. Plus, if he died in combat somewhere, someone would have probably been aware of it happening, because he never worked alone and without the knowledge of his monastery. Even in his later years, his every touch was still filled w/ Iron!
Given the choice between not training and losing all that I have learned, I would take being prepared over not being so. It has worked very well so far, so I will remain happy in my choice to follow it. The fighting part was much easier to learn than the mental side of it. I cannot undue my training now either, as it is now an inseparable part of me and who I am as a person. I have also been in the center of some violent cyclones happening around me and nothing ever seemed to happen to me. It was like I was invisible in some ways. But I have also had guns pointed at me at distance on 2 occasions ( wrong place/time), but yet, here I still am. My training helped me to deal w/ things of that nature to a large degree, so it has literally saved my life and that of others.
Also, I would like to state that many dojos/shufangs teach some very messed up things to their students. Some schools actually encourage their students to test themselves and seek out violent situations. I cannot imagine a stupider way of doing things. My Grand Master, on occasion, sought out such schools in the classic confrontation style to 'teach' these instructors and their students the folly of their ways. He was even directly challenged by such people and he happily oblige them. He sought out such people because they were considered a blemish on respectable Arts being practiced. While I would never do such a thing, he garnered much respect here in Az and throughout the world because of this. This is actually quite common in the Arts, but it is within the realm of Grand Master and such to do these things. He never lost any of these fights. One fight he did lose, resulted in a fairly nasty torture session which only ended when his people liberated him a short time later- before he was tortured to death. I can't even remotely imagine being in such a situation, but I don't put it outside of the realm of possibilities either.
So yes, I am very happy to have taken up this path and even more happy that I've been smart enough to avoid the more serious conflicts. There is nothing wrong w/ being prepared, it is just how you use it. Intention is everything!

Party 'till you die!

Jordan, yes I do believe that there are people on BOTH sides who are trying to get their way and Only their way. This is imbalanced, no matter who is doing it. I simply think that it is very difficult to fairly be balanced to all different ways, but if it is allowed a foothold, then there is a definite trap in one particular side gaining the upper hand. This I am against. To allude that only one side is capable of doing these things is folly. History is littered w/ examples of both sides trying to get the upper hand through force and/or sheer numbers. Being that this is a largely Christian population ( which I have NO problem w/), I have seen the imbalances of faith rear their ugly head before. When I was in grade school in Hawaii, we had a moment of silence, where the school was extremely careful not to cal it anything but a moment of silence. This was due to the inordinately diverse population of different faiths and cultures in this military run school. I thought that was a very wise way of doing things. We still had Christmas trees, but we also celebrated many of the other paths as well. I loved the Polynesian and Chinese celebrations with particular relish.
I also believe that because we live in such a diverse 'melting pot' of a nation, this attack from one side or another will be mitigated. I seriously doubt it will ever come about that we will ever become a society of only one view. I mean c'mon, if you're sitting somewhere like the Midwest, in a school full of 100% Christians, who are all on the same page, then fine, allow prayer. But if you have one student, let's say he Jewish, then what do you think is really going to happen? It's not going to be good. Think about that sometime.
Oh, I've been to Amsterdam and was blown away w/ some of what I saw. But it was remarkably peaceful as everyone knew what the deal was. Unlike Brazil, which is a Very Religious place, I saw TONS of Violence there! So who's to say which is better? If you are shocked by seeing people smoke pot in public, then you are in the wrong place. BTW, I did not partake of any of those things, but I still enjoyed every minute of my visit there. I knew what to expect.

Party 'till you die!

Also Jordan, I believe you were attempting to use a passive/aggressive style of discussion to bait me into saying something that you could twist around and use against me, I could be wrong and I apologize if this is the case, but I do not think I am mistaken. Nice try. I'm just not buying what I believe you're trying to sell, if this is the case.

Party 'till you die!

Jordan, they also have 'donkey shows' in TJ, Mexico. I've avoided such places, but they are minutes away from the border. There are also lots of sex shows there too ( and No). Mexico is NOT a secular nation either. Still quite nasty to think about.

Tom Cruz

No! No passive aggressive anything. You answered the question fairly. Good answer. Im satisfied. I was curious. Im not religious but yes conservative as hell and dont like what i see as with this country falling apart and i dont mean just in the war sense. I defintely dont support that war so im consistent with my morals. Unfortunately you got people like charlie Sheen from the other side trying to spit out his conspiracy crap which i dont believe. But Id rather have it come from someone who doesnt live that fun self fulfilling, only about drugs and sex lifestyle. i think Sheen should worry about himself. i honestly did not want to see this country turn into amsterdam was my main point and concern!

Party 'till you die!

Pandora, I am not trying to bait you here, but I was wondering if you could clarify a previous post. You seemed to state that you had 100% proof that your position was valid and therefore, I assume ( perhaps very wrongly) that it would be 100% effective for everyone. I haven't really noticed you saying this anywhere else like that, so I am a bit confused. I think that there is danger in saying that one size fits all- at least in this particular time and place. Could you clarify this for me? Thanks.

Party 'till you die!

Jordan, sorry to infer such a thing. Yes, the country is a train wreak, but I admire anyone who is willing to stand up for injustice. I could care less if they smoke pot ( crack, coke- ok, question EVERYTHING THEY SAY) , as long as they are working for a proper cause that battles injustice. I have a friend who is 71 y/o and smokes pot on a daily basis. He is a caring/giving man who does incredible things of a positive nature! He also practices a Christian based faith, but I do not know what branch, but I know it's quite popular around here. They have lots of buses and many huge churches. He is not the only one in his flock that enjoys such things. We must qualify people by their actions and intent before we throw stones. I know his church never could even think about killing, or removing liberties from people, but I have seen many 'legit' super churches say these things. The Moral Majority being one of them.