Rebecca Schaeffer's Killer Stabbed

7/28/2007 12:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Killer Robert John Bardo, who was convicted of stalking and killing actress Rebecca Schaeffer in 1989, was stabbed by another inmate yesterday. Bardo was stabbed 11 times while he and fellow inmates were walking to breakfast in the prison yard, according to Mule Creek State Prison officials. He survived the attack.

Schaeffer was the star of the 1980s sitcom "My Sister Sam." Bardo was obsessed with Schaeffer and stalked her for several months. He eventually tracked her down with the help of a private detective, and shot her to death when she answered the door of her L.A. home. She was 21.

The suspect identified as responsible for stabbing Bardo is serving an 82-years-to-life sentence for second-degree murder. Bardo was 19 when he stalked and killed Schaeffer. He is serving life without parole. The case led to the classification of stalking as a felony in California.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

DanaA

I am THE biggest Rebecca fan, and still feel just so sad she is gone....I just want to clarify something: I believe someone a few pages back said she had a restraining order on Bardo, that is not true. She did not even know of him, I believe the only contact between the two was autographed pictures/fan letters. She was unaware of him until he was on her doorstep. It's so tragic, and I wish to God she would have been allowed to live----I know she would have accomplished many great things; she was an incredible actress and so beautiful!

Bunnie

Too bad the stabber didn't finish him off about 18 years ago, think of all the money that we would have saved...ohhh hell, the only thing shanking some one without killing them does is put them back in the limelight and cost us more in medical expenses...do prisoners have to use a PPO or wait in line for medical treatment like veterans?

I think killers should automatically become organ donors; all organs good for harvesting should be done while the killer is awake and can feel it. Nothing like a little 'fair play' when it comes to pain and agony. Yes, I know this would be considered cruel and unusual...to who though?? Ohh yes, I forgot, violent criminals have more rights and privileges than normal law abiding citizens. I sure know that I don't have cable tv, didn't get a free education, and my health care costs me a mint!

DanaA

This is a long shot, but I would like to ask the above poster, who met Rebecca at a My Sister Sam related event, what exactly she was like? Did you talk to her? Did you get her autograph, or any photos??? She has been my favorite star for awhile, I collect EVERYTHING I can find about her! I still am so sad she is gone, she was on the verge of an amazing career, but had it all taken away, it makes me SICK. I would love to hear any little tidbit about her---I'm Dana, and my email is: Sophieeclipse@hotmail.com Thank you!!!!

costaMesaboy

i hope Vick gets stabbed, while he does his time!!!!,,,,,,,,,haha, BIG DUMMY

Annie Mahoney

You know, I'd forgotten the guy's name. I think that's a good thing. I'm not sorry he was stabbed, but I am kinda sorry he's in the news again. We didn't really need to remember him.

Sillyme

Bad guy's time had come for a payback and I doubt he thinks this is fair for him to suffer and will whine, sue and want extra protection and special treatments..

smilesarefree

finish the job next time.

costaMesaboy

STALKERS ARE LIKE THE PAPARAZZI,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seriously........cMb, RULES!!!!!

Petite

His state must not have had the death penality. Here in Texas, he would have swung! We like the death penality here, and you can count on that never changing.

Heidi can't sing

Karma's a real BITCH!!

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

Poetic justice is a wonderful thing.

Now if he would only die a slow and lingering death due to complications from an infection, the circle will be completed.

hopeless pedant

Pedantic note - Schaeffer's home was in West Hollywood, an independent city of 38,000 surrounded by LA and Beverly Hills. It was south of Santa Monica between Doheny and Robertson (near the Pacific Design Center). Murders are very rare here.

Georgia Girl

Instant karma's gonna getcha!

Petite

Why do murders get to live?

IMO, if you are so evil that you can kill someone on purpose, you should not be allowed to live either.

I'm SICK OF PAYING FOR THESE PEOPLE TO LIVE! Medical care, food, clothing, ENTERTAINMENT, books, toilet paper- it's ALL ON MY DIME AND I'M SICK OF IT!

hopeless pedant

#12

It is more expensive to taxpayers to execute someone than to have him get a life sentence. Far, far more expensive.

And life imprisonment is a horrible sentence as well - don't doubt that for a minute.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments