Too Hot for Queen of Soul

8/12/2007 10:08 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's getting hot in herrrre -- too hot for the Queen of Soul to perform! Citing temperatures in the 90s, Aretha Franklin called off a planned evening concert in at Detroit's DTE Energy Music Theater.

The 65-year-old soul sensation said she was "exhausted from the heat and cannot tolerate heat in these extremely high numbers and being in concert simultaneously."

R-E-S-P-E-C-T the heat!

Tina

Give the woman a break!! How old is she?? Older people cannot take the heat dumbasses!! I know she is at least as old as my grandma and she is in her 70's! I think the Queen of soul looks great for her age!!

Lenn K.

It's really all about stout, obese, or just plain fat. We all like Aretha, but the facts are the facts. Lose the weight, you might live longer and a easier life or stay gorged and die early. I love you music, but I must tell the truth!!!

Hollywood

Fact is she is morbily OBESE. Snapshot of half of America. Shut your mouth, and move your feet.

That is why she cannot perform. FAT plus HEAT equals CANT MOVE

Age has nothing to do with it.

She's fat and she doesn't move her body =no freakin wonder she feels the way she does.

All I know is, when I am that age, and I am only 20 years younger, I want NOTHING to do with being a fat, overstuffed pig who can't move.

costaMesaboy

R-E-S-P-E-C-T...................65' right on..........."i bet Amy Whinehouse kicks the bucket 1st", sick bet, but any takers???..................YOU GO ARETHA!!!,,,,,,she has always been Big Boned, you moron.

Sarah Silverman SUCKS!

By comparison, Cher is 62, Jack Lalanne is 93 and works out 2 hours every day. Age is no excuse. You either take care of yourself or you don’t. If someone was known to abuse drugs and alcohol and cancelled a show, people would be all over them for their problem.

Kat

It is more difficult for Aretha, because she probably has health problems due to being over weight. Being in the excessive heat is a bit much for someone her age and by carrying the excess weight.

ohnoudient

Ree Ree, do as you please. You have earned it, girl! I run from my home air conditioning to my car air conditioning, why would I expect her to do any less?

Freddy Angel

Hey I would have cancelled too if I were, I hate it when it's too hot.. And I don't know how Madonna tours and performs with no AC.. That's crazy..

Gee

TMZ is a trip they picked one of the fattest photos they could find, LOL. I hear she's lost quite a few pounds due to her upcoming wedding...

Tangie

#16 gus---DTE is an outside arena. I live in Detroit, and it is so muggy here, I would have trouble performing in it. And I'm healthy and 40!

Misty

Hmm...that's strange...I worked security for one of her concerts and she wanted it really hot inside the theater because it was better for her voice. All the poor guests were sweating like crazy. But she can't stand the heat outside? Yeah...ok.

paula

I don't hear anyone complaining about Elton John's glasses! Aretha has every right to wear what she choses. I'm quite sure, you, that has something to say about it no doubt wearwhat you choose to wear. Too bad we can't see the person[s] that's talking about her weight. For all we know' you might be heavier than Aretha.Also, you might be sitting in an air condition room as you make such rediculous insults.Why don't you go perform in 90 degree heat.

todd lissner anti adult anti wholesomeness activist-----(kadintodd2@aol.com)

heat can be unbarable,so can mindless retards from costa mesa.

HotelAngel

Aretha can't take the heat because she refuses to perform in a building with air conditioning on because she says it will affect he voice.
If you've ever been to one of Aretha's shows, the heat is almost unbearable, even in cold seasons.
Oh, and she is gigantic! ha ha
She is lucky to have lived this long for someone her size. When was the last time you saw a morbidly obese senior citizen? They don't exist. Fat people don't live that long

Lainy

Nothing but RESPECT for the Queen. She is 65. I wish she would take alittle better care of herself. She has the money. Just look at Patti LaBelle.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments